Anyone rate the Caberg Tourmax?

Does my ass look big in these?
Philiptigerrice

Anyone rate the Caberg Tourmax?

Post by Philiptigerrice »

I'm considering a Tourmax...

As a glasses wearer, a fliptop is a godsend... B)

I have a cheapo Spada offroad lid and an old Schuey borrowed off a pal for road rides..

Just wondering what the Tourmax is like to live with?!
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
steve172

Re: Anyone rate the Caberg Tourmax?

Post by steve172 »

I had been eyeing (excuse the pun) up this lid for a while and tried it on, but the chin guard rests against my chin. Otherwise, it looks and feels a great helmet, packed with features.
KTMBLAG

Post by KTMBLAG »

Yeah great helmet but it's very close to the chin which won't suit some
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

As above,., theres a thread somewhere with reviews from those of us that own them....Rate mine but then I wanted a close fit for mainly road use...
Philiptigerrice

Okey dokey - am off to try one on in a few days (and then guiltily buy it online) if its an ok fit.

It would be a mainly road lid for me too...
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
Dabchick

Post by Dabchick »

I've got both a Spada Intrepid and a Caberg Tourmax, and wear glasses, but don't have much experience of different lids having only started riding on road and passing my test last year. Here's my thoughts anyway..

Spada:
lighter
noisier
quite slab-sided around the chin-bar so lifesavers and cross-winds build up the neck muscles somewhat.
very airy around the chin, to the point of being cold in cold weather/long journeys in comparison to the Caberg.
better ventilation
I bought it before the pinlock for it was readily available, which was partly why the Caberg appealed as it included a pinlock. Now the pinlock is available it doesn't follow the shape of the visor anywhere near as closely as the pinlock for the Caberg, so if the visor steams up but the pinlock doesn't (which it hasn't, I must add) you get the effect of looking out through a letterbox (or burqha :whistle: ). Unless of course I've been sent the wrong pinlock visor..

Caberg:
heavier, especially towards the front. The additional weight of the locking mechanism maybe?
more rounded, so less affected by cross-winds
some nice touches, like the reflective material on the neck and under the chin (so it's visible when the chin-bar is up) and pinlock visor included.
Ready for bluetooth with Caberg's Just Speak
a bit quieter
can take it off or put it on without having to take off the glasses
the peak vibrates at certain speeds on my Tenere, I assume because it's secured at each end and not the middle to allow it to pivot. Having said that, lots of people complain about buffeting on the Tenere anyway, so it might just be me/my bike.
I've been told only one size shell, so if you've a small head it might look a little out of proportion.
The chin bar fits me fine, although it is close - so close that with the chin 'curtain' in place despite the pinlock visor keeping things clear my own breath manages to steam up my glasses. The answer was to take off the chin curtain, which of course affects how cold you get. How it will fare when the colder weather returns I don't know, might try a 'breath box' if it will stay attached to the chin bar and not get in the way with it flipped up.
The vents in the chin bar seem to point directly up the back of the visor and no where else, and I can't tell any difference from the vent on the crown being open or closed, so on a warm day it can get a little stuffy, more so than the Spada which has both better ventilation and more room. Having said that you can just open the chin-bar, although obviously crash protection is then compromised a little

I'll be honest, I don't use the flip much at all, just taking it on/off and for not having to take the lid off when paying for fuel/talking to people. If you like flip lids I'm sure you'll get more value from it than I do. I probably reach for it over the Spada most of the time, definitely if its for longer journeys and/or inclement weather, as the seal around the visor is also better on the Caberg (unless the rain is trickling in through the two brow vents on the Spada not between visor and shell)
Philiptigerrice

Thanks Chick.

I'm looking fed to trying one now.
my wife wants the Caberg Dukr, so I might even look into this Just Speak gubbins too!
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
pinball1008

Post by pinball1008 »

I've had my tourmax over a year and I'm pretty happy with it. The chin bar only touches my chin if I don't have it positioned properly. When its on right there's an intent in the chin bar so that my chin clears it. It is heavier than previous helmets I've had but it's a flip front, so I expected that.
Try one on and see what you think.
Not all those wandering are lost
billy56

Post by billy56 »

I have one for a few weeks now as noted the chin bar is close but for the money it's very comfortable and not too noisey
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I rode 1300 miles in five days with mine last week and it was fantastic. Comfortable, quiet, dry, no fog and I wear glasses. I'm very impressed

Ade

Return to “CLOTHING”