Bright helmets anyone.

Does my ass look big in these?
cozi70

Bright helmets anyone.

Post by cozi70 »

I've never riden much in the darker hours as I'm mainly a summer rider, but last year on a dark evening I was at my fathers house, riding my big trail bike, and he commented on how in conspicuous I looked on a black bike wearing all black,with just some small reflective strips. He promptly offer me one off his fluorescent bibs which I normally shunned , but that dark ride home with that bib made me realise my errors.
I've since become an avid bib wearer and upon see another rider with one have taken a notion for one off these.
I've almost always worn arai lids but I'm considering a much cheaper make,with flip front and built in tinted viser as above at just over £100.
Anybody else tried these cheaper makes?
fullerton

Re: Bright helmets anyone.

Post by fullerton »

for me arai and nothing else, when it comes to my head and ive had a few offs arai everytime

steve
Fordy

Post by Fordy »

I've gone from Shoei XR1000 to AGV Longway flip front, and now Caberg Duke flip front with visor. These are 3, 4 and 5 star sharp ratings respectively so price is no indicator of safety, but I tend to choose on functionality and price rather than a safety rating.

Consider also there's a good reason the police riders use white helmets.
Trev

Post by Trev »

I went for a Shark Vision R in Black and Fluo Green for my main lid. I wanted the Vision R hoping the wide opening would help with my neck problems on my old Gixer11 and just liked the pattern and colours of the black & green when I saw it on the shelf, now admit I would probably stay with a brighter helmet when I next come to change.

For all that I still don't wear hi viz bib or gear on the (completely unsound basis) that I think it looks naff :blush:
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

This is what I got for Christmas. I didnt fancy a flouro helmet and white is very visible.

image_2015-01-20.jpg
image_2015-01-20.jpg (44.77 KiB) Viewed 1510 times
Ade
Dutchgit

Post by Dutchgit »

I've been driving the orange Defender in my avatar and people "didn't see me"

I'd wear a Hiviz vest when on my way to work in the dark (filtering traffic as that's allowed in Holland) but that's it. As sson as I'm out in daylight again the vest comes off. I get enough bugs as it is.
It'll end in tears I tells ya.
fullerton

Post by fullerton »

Dutchgit wrote:I've been driving the orange Defender in my avatar and people "didn't see me"

I'd wear a Hiviz vest when on my way to work in the dark (filtering traffic as that's allowed in Holland) but that's it. As sson as I'm out in daylight again the vest comes off. I get enough bugs as it is.
my missus agrees with you, she wont let me out of the house without the high viz going to work, my mate works for arriva buses and he had a smidy, he nearly pissed himself laughin he was driving one of the bendy buses and the cxnt still didnt see him

steve
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Don`t wear hi-viz if they don`t want to see you they won`t, I treat every car driver as a homicidal manic and expect them to pull out on me and ride accordingly (thumbs)
Used to know a guy who was 6ft 4in, wore a BRIGHT orange overall and headlight on and he said they still didn`t see him :ohmy:
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

I have a slightly different view of this thIng. We all want to be seen from the front so that cars etc do not pull out in front of us.

A bike with a large ish fairing and screen with it's lights on almost always blocks out any high viz vest being seen during the day. What is seen is the helmet and the headlight. At night reflective strips are also seen well but a yellow bib is not.

So both my lids are bright white as they can be seen by day and night.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

I nearly did a smidsy a few years back, dark rainy night, pull out of a junction turning right, looked right saw a car thought I had enough room, started to move and all of a sudden there where three headlights where there originally two, dude had blended straight in :ohmy: He was wearing a high vis vest but I couldn't see it behind his headlight. An hour later I ordered spotlights, and I haven't had a problem since. My theory the triangle they make is easier to spot and doesn't just blend in with traffic as easily (thumbs)

I've got a thin high viz jacket that I wear on dark days, I go with just my black jacket on bright days. Contrasting colours to help eyes spot them (thumbs)

I've also swapped my matt black lid for a grey and white one. My old man swears by high viz lids and always wears a high viz jacket, it seems to work for him.

Return to “CLOTHING”