Decent winter gloves

Does my ass look big in these?
bowber

Decent winter gloves

Post by bowber »

As mentioned in the snow thread my son is traveling 20 miles each way to collage and back along the Sedbergh road and he's suffering with cold hands as expected on his near 1 hour journey.

I've fitted some hand guards, and will be fitting some extra bits to help.

No chance of heated grips, 80w alternator and thin wiring.

I have hand muffs but he's not keen and they would cover the lights on the hand guards that are needed as his headlight goes out on tickover. + he's a teenager.

He's tried all of our various winter gloves and he's now in agreement with me that they are all crap and the best so far were the old ski gloves.

So I'm asking the collective wisdom of the forum for advise on reasonably priced, good winter gloves that still allow your hands to move.
So far Paul at Tokoda has suggested Halvarsson gloves with silk inner gloves but which ones?, Pauls bike has heated grips which can make a huge difference.

Any other suggestions, ski or bike gloves?

Thanks
Steve
Nick_2112

Re: Decent winter gloves

Post by Nick_2112 »

These won a Ride Magazine best buy, seem reasonable price.
http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... prod/69186
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

Richa Sub Zero gloves.

I ride all year without heated grips and my hands never get cold nor wet..about £50

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
bowber

Post by bowber »

They look ok, I'll have to read a few more reviews.

These did well apparently, Richa Cold Protect GTX, http://www.visordown.com/product-featur ... 734-7.html

Steve
Zappa

Post by Zappa »

Would heated gloves be an option?

I have a pair of Gerbing G-12 Gloves and (when I got them at least), was given a lifetime guarantee. TBH I very rarely use the heating on them as they are very warm anyway, but the heating comes in handy when its raining as the water does not seep through when they are on.

If heated gloves are not an option definitely get some Silk liners first, you may find your current gloves are much better with just this simple addition. Before heat technology I rode all weathers with silk liners and cheap outer Ski gloves.

Or get some of these and slip them inside the gloves
I feel beneath the white there is a red skin suffering from centuries of taming.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

I got some merino glove liners from snow and rock, they take the edge off...
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Fried Egg Sandwich

Post by Fried Egg Sandwich »

I always go for the two finger type gloves in the winter (thumbs) Like these (thumbs)
Suzuki DRZ400S
BMW R1150GS
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797)
bowber

Post by bowber »

I'll be getting him a few pairs of silk lines anyway and I've been looking at the two finger ones as well.

I'll have to show him these options so he can decide for himself, you know what teens can be like, I might get him the wrong shade of black :laugh:

Steve
Paul

Post by Paul »

Must add that gortex gloves don't like heated grips. I contacted halvarssons when my new gloves leaked and heated grips where the cause. The gortex being very clever opens its pores thinking you are hot and rain gets in. A handy tip, I think!
Throttled

Post by Throttled »

Knox cold killer inner gloves and for over the gloves, any waterproof over mits as they keep all the wind off your hands.
YBR125 > KLE500 + KLE650 Versys Tourer

Return to “CLOTHING”