rent a down bag?

Does my ass look big in these?
byewayrider

rent a down bag?

Post by byewayrider »

Hi pep`s..

my good friend who`s a cold sleeper is going away in early spring and his normal bag aint upto the possible cold temps..talking europe so 2-5c at night and warmish days pssibly -5c too..

has anyone rented a down sleeping bag from the companies on ebay etc..it sounds a good deal for a short trip..compared to £300 bag :woohoo: ..got to be down for packing space...
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
AndyB

Re: rent a down bag?

Post by AndyB »

There's no way I'd rent a sleeping bag because you simply don't know its history. Use a cheaper bag with a fleece liner or sleep in thermals I can do but sleep in something that the previous user has sweated the night away in? No thanks :sick:
fullerton

Post by fullerton »

AndyB wrote:There's no way I'd rent a sleeping bag because you simply don't know its history. Use a cheaper bag with a fleece liner or sleep in thermals I can do but sleep in something that the previous user has sweated the night away in? No thanks :sick:
or worse

steve
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

fullerton wrote:
AndyB wrote:There's no way I'd rent a sleeping bag because you simply don't know its history. Use a cheaper bag with a fleece liner or sleep in thermals I can do but sleep in something that the previous user has sweated the night away in? No thanks :sick:
or worse

steve
Let's not go there.
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

byewayrider wrote:Hi pep`s..

my good friend who`s a cold sleeper is going away in early spring and his normal bag aint upto the possible cold temps..talking europe so 2-5c at night and warmish days pssibly -5c too..

has anyone rented a down sleeping bag from the companies on ebay etc..it sounds a good deal for a short trip..compared to £300 bag :woohoo: ..got to be down for packing space...
Rent one? No way.

But get a fleece suit and a 3/4 season sleeping bag. Or buy a fleece blanket and get someone to sew it up as a liner. I found some on eBay a lot less than £300 too. Wear the fleece as a thermal by day. Down bag is nice, but if you get it wet its a disaster.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
fullerton

Post by fullerton »

AndyB wrote:
fullerton wrote:
or worse

steve
Let's not go there.

wot eating toast and leaving crumbs, dirty barstools

Steve
Elle

Post by Elle »

Didn't know companies did that - sounds weird - got any links? I could only find items to buy.
A down sleeping bag can easily get crushed and it may be rendered useless after a big wash. I'd ask them specifically how they wash & dry their bags.

Instead, I would recommend some good thermal underwear, a decent sleeping bag liner (silk or fleece), wear a hat and socks. Put something under the air bed - a picnic blanket with a waterproof backing or a reflective emergency blanket will do.
Don't use a big tent - too much air space to warm up
Take a mini hot water bottle and fill up an hour before bed (thumbs)

My daughter has been round the world with her MacPac
MacPac on eBay
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

I think you can get a good down bag for 200 quid. Something like cumulus mysterious traveller is around that. If your friend doesn't have the money and doesn't mind renting go for it.
I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

MarkN

Post by MarkN »

Rather than rent, why not buy a Snugpak Softie jacket and a silk sleeping bag liner? The softie will keep you warm in the evening and the silk liner means you only have to wash that
gland

Post by gland »

when I was having cold issues it took a while to work out but the cold was coming up through airbed. Got an exped mattress and suddenly was back to sleeping in same sleeping bag that I had been freezing in and in just me boxers. Got a silk liner at same time and have only got to use it when its to warm for bag.

Return to “CLOTHING”