expensive bike gear im sick of it not working properly

Does my ass look big in these?
spasm

expensive bike gear im sick of it not working properly

Post by spasm »

2 years ago i bought some bike gear from hein gerrike £500 and it leaked a string vest. i bought it because i was fed up of buying cheap nasty gear, and having to carry waterproofs.
so early this year i thought i'll have to up my game and spend a bit more i spose if i want ultimate performance.
went out and bought the richa spirit c-change. nearly 800 bucks. phew :angry: ive had it several months now and it feels good to wear, unfortunately its only seen light rain so hasnt had a good test till sunday when i went out in the rain to do exactly that. pissed right off now cos the trousers leak badly on the crotch that is made of a different material (elasticated) to the rest of the suit. my seated area (nuts and bum) were soaking and eventually i could feel it creeping to the back of my legs.
i called the shop where i bought it and they said they will replace them, but i just feel like its a no brainer,
cheap gear and waterproofs do just the same job.
GUTTED lol motorcyclings an expensive hobby sometimes
i only need one wheel .......... the rear
Dark Knight

Re: expensive bike gear im sick of it not working properly

Post by Dark Knight »

All bike gear seems to be getting very expensive.
I am as guilty as anyone, helmet alone cost £450.

In the 1970's used to ride about using wellington boots, rubberised trousers and a Belstaff waxed cotton jacket, dry as a bone.

Maybe we are all too focussed on style and looks, an ad mans dream.
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

I always use a £10 pair of Gelert waterproof walking trousers as overtrousers and as they fit in their pouch they don't take up much space.

For the top I use a Decathlon waterproof cycling jacket that is vented so you don't get cooked, it's a good fit on the bike jacket so it doesn't flap about and best of all it rolls up small enough to fit in the pouch with the trousers

There you have it - a decent set of waterproofs in a pouch not much bigger than a can of fizzy pop

37_2013-10-22.jpg
37_2013-10-22.jpg (75.62 KiB) Viewed 2009 times
davsato

Post by davsato »

it doesnt matter how much you spend.
im the other way, i dont bother spending megabucks on the latest trendiest stuff anymore as it doesnt seem to do any better than the cheap stuff. or doesnt perform better to the same ratio as the cost difference, put it that way. my hein gericke gear is supposed to be waterproof and was years ago to be fair, but nothing lasts forever, not even expensive gear. my mate just bought a halvarssons suit for over a grand, i made room in my top box for a waterproof onesie. we were out at brighton for brightona the other weekend in a day of pouring rain, and we were both soaked through eventually. whatever works for you.
Dave
scotsy

Post by scotsy »

Dark Knight wrote:In the 1970's used to ride about using wellington boots, rubberised trousers and a Belstaff waxed cotton jacket, dry as a bone
I remember those days well along with sheepskin lined leather gloves with Belstaff waxed overmitts and a pair of my mums tights to keep the legs warm in winter

:unsure: :ohmy: :dry: :woohoo:
Brads

Post by Brads »

I have both a Wiess jacket £40 new in a sale and a BMW suit, closer to a grand.

Neither leak.

Only gear I have had issues with was Spada, total crap.
Round the world ???

Round the bend more like !
Locksmith

Post by Locksmith »

I use Spada gear and it's been good , in very heavy rain i put cheap waterproofs over the top and i've never got wet . I don't see the point in spending a fortune on jackets and trousers .
Suzuki DL650 (Wee) with many nice mods ..

Yamaha XT660Z Tenere also modded ..

http://www.v-strom.co.uk/phpBB3/

http://www.adventurebikers.net/forum/index.php
andymac

Post by andymac »

I wear a bmw rally pro suit £900,, ive stopped putting the gortex liner in it and just wear a storm suit over the top in the rain,,,,utter crap in the wet weather !!!
the elbows collect the water when you are riding, then as you put your hands down off the bars the water fills your gloves !!!!!! :(
the suit also weighs a ton when it gets wet as the gortex liner is next to your skin
so the whole suit gets soaked.
(but a brilliant suit in the summer) :whistle:
work hard,,,,,,,,,,,play harder !!
davsato

Post by davsato »

and lots of bikes have a built in puddle maker in the nutsack area, even the best goretex cant keep out standing water for long.
Dave
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

davsato wrote:and lots of bikes have a built in puddle maker in the nutsack area, even the best goretex cant keep out standing water for long.
You need a shitebag or Gauchos ;)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TERMOSCUD-GAU ... 4171e0e974
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.

Return to “CLOTHING”