Post by africajim » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:54 pm

+1 for the Schuberth C3.
Quietest helmet I've ever owned.
Honda, the power of dreams.

Adventure Bike Rider New Issue Out Now
john_aero

Re: Helmet Choice

Post by john_aero » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:59 pm

currently use hjc fs 1. great lid. as they say go try them on and see what best fits. fit is more important than anything else no matter the make.

arai make good tour helmet, i personally rather a seperate road lid and mx lid. if trail riding will use my mx lid.

but i am concidering the new agv ax8 dual. cheaper than arai but top of the range helmet.

it can have peak removed and still doesnt look shite and looks like a very cool helmet in the 3 individual forms.

the airoj s4 is a great nudget lid, i didnt get one as it didnt fit my oddly shaped and sized noggin

redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:26 pm

I'm also new to the 'adventure' side of biking and when I got my tenere I thought about buying a so called 'adventure' helmet. Using my old arai at first I then read that the tour-x causes a bit on vibes on the tenere. I asked a friend who had one but did not use it any more if I could try it out. As he needed a front mousse and I had one spare we did a swop. On the first ride I found the peak vibrated so badly it was very uncomfortable. I found a thread on a forum that suggested gluing a piece on wire along the leading edge to stiffen the peak.before my next ride I tried the wire trick and it helped a lot. The tour-x has better peripheral vision (good when commuting) and is cooler. The visor is useful when the sun dips low in the sky at this time of year but unfortunately it's a little too breezy in this cold weather.
XT660Z

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).

doctorzippy

Post by doctorzippy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:45 pm

OB1 wrote:
stormfield wrote:Have you considered a flip-face helmet? BMW System 6, for example.
I will NEVER wear a flip front helmet :ohmy: - may sound OTT but, as far as I'm concerned, they are more dangerous than an open faced lid!

I'm happy to look at the adventure lids but only if the advantage is one that I'll notice. Someone did mention to me that you get more ventilation with the adventure lids... any comments?
Sounds OTT to me :whistle:

I was advised to use a flip-front helmet by the Globebusters folk prior to doing the Pan-Am ride in 2009 (Alaska to Argentina). It helps a lot when arriving at places, being able to show your obviously foreign beaming face to the locals, who then fall over themselves trying to help you. Those with "star wars" enduro helmets and dark visors didn't get the same reaction (but I ride with just such a lid in the UK!). B)

As for safety, I crashed at 55-60mph high in the Andes and landed on my head. My Schubert C3 was trashed, but I walked away with only mild concussion and a cracked rib. I would not have expected my expensive Arai RX7 to have provided me with better protection.

The Nolan flip-front I replaced it with, on the other hand, was utter shite, so I rode defensively (the cracked rib helped) and bought a Shoei Multitec when I got home.

But remember, above all else, fit is the most important thing, and not all helmets fit all heads. :S
Life is a journey, not a destination

Lee

Post by Lee » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:54 pm

I'm currently running a Shoei Hornet which is based on the shell of their MX lid. I went with it because compared to normal full-face lids the visor opening is huge (far more peripheral vision). The ventilation is great and when riding into the sun I can tip my head forward slightly and hide it behind the peak.

Negatives? Well, it's noisier than a standard full-face and it only just fits into the topbox 'cause the peak gets in the way. The peak can catch the wind at times.

Would I buy another? Probably not. I'm thinking of getting a Schuberth flip-front as a second (main) lid, and keeping the Hornet for off roading and hot days.
In June this year I undertook the whole Nature Rally in one trip, in aid of Riders for Health

You can read about it at http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... s-now.html

please support me at http://www.justgiving.com/leeparsons-naturerally

Redmurty

Post by Redmurty » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:15 pm

C3 is the best helmet I have ever owned by far and will buy another should I need to. Easy to flip up and speak to people, I have ridden with the front flipped up but not overly keen on it. A great helmet all round cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself

mark1150

Post by mark1150 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:20 pm

Oh and I'd just like to add, our chums in blue [not Yamaha riders] almost always have flip front lids, and as far as I am aware there are no safety issues with them at all regardless of speed.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R

OB1

Post by OB1 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:12 pm

My "safety" reasons for being against flip front helmets is down to the fact that when I had a crash (23 years ago) I landed on the chin bar of the Nolan (full face) helmet that I was wearing. Even though helmet design has come on in leaps and bounds, I still do not trust landing in that position again wearing a helmet that is hinged. Regardless of the anecdotal evidence saying that they are safe and that coppers wear them - remember that they stay in-line whit the bike when cornering... not everything they do is right :laugh:

Thanks all for the advice.

I think that I'll keep the Arai Chaser for day-to-day riding and buy an AGV for off-roading/adventuring.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
https://ob1uk.wordpress.com

stormfield

Post by stormfield » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:21 pm

Must confess I was really tempted by the darth vader looks of this one:

Although I settled for a more practical lid in the end.

Mark1961

Post by Mark1961 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:08 am

I picked up a shark evoline series 2 at the bike show. This gives the best of both worlds. So far I am more than impressed.
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!

Return to “CLOTHING”