Helmet Choice

Does my ass look big in these?
Strada

Re: Helmet Choice

Post by Strada »

Looks very nice but I've always been wary of flip up lids - there's no way they are as strong in that crucial area. Great idea though.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Strada wrote:Looks very nice but I've always been wary of flip up lids - there's no way they are as strong in that crucial area.
Totally agree - a hinge in the helmet is an engineered-in weak point and will be the first thing to go if someone was to land face-first on the road. This is the reason why I would not ever consider wearing one... and coppers wear them... would you want to look like a copper? :evil:
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Strada

Post by Strada »

Coppers wear them because they have to show their face whilst dealing with the public and, obviously, faffing around removing a helmet is not an option in most cases - especially if someone decides to make a run for it.
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

I can think of a few occasions when a Police appearence could be an advantage. :woohoo:

Worth remembering some of our members are serving police officers. ;)
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Treadtrader wrote:Worth remembering some of our members are serving police officers. ;)
There are two members of the dark side... sorry, the force in my family (sister & her husband) but I'll still try to steer clear of them whenever I can! :whistle:
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Strada

Post by Strada »

I know there are Flip_Ups with 4/5 Star SHARP safety ratings but the tests do not include any impact on the chin area - very odd and very misleading!
john_aero

Post by john_aero »

yes getcaught buy the fuzz when soeeding down the motorway is always good idea

eitheway i am with you regarding flip up lids

my old instructor wore one but just for easy or communication while teaching
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

OB1 wrote: I will NEVER wear a flip front helmet :ohmy: - may sound OTT but, as far as I'm concerned, they are more dangerous than an open faced lid!
That is what I had thought until:

Five star rated helmets.
2 Flip up lids listed.

They are not all bad andi must say, having bought a Caberg Trip, they are SOOOO practical!
There are plenty of Full-Face Helmets from the big names that perform far worse...
OB1 wrote: I'm happy to look at the adventure lids but only if the advantage is one that I'll notice. Someone did mention to me that you get more ventilation with the adventure lids... any comments?
I have had many fullface lids, two MX lids with googles and my flip up.
MX lids: great on slow bikes and in summer: loads of space and air, but loads of wind noise at higher speeds. Huge field of vision... until you put on the googles, then far less field of vision. Plus the peak helps develop mega neck muscles above 60...

Ostensibly, "ADV" lids may give you that field of vision, with a visor, but beware the peak: wind gets a good grip on it.

Mostly I think it is a fashion thing: guilty as charged as I only got n MX lid when I had a SM...
john_aero

Post by john_aero »

yes down side to a peaked lid is if wind catches it can be very painful and dangerous

happened me few time doing my life saver before overtaking and wind caught peak and gave me bad whip lash to the point i nearly lost control as can surprise you when happens.

but its also a benifit as can block low bright sunshine when required as compared to normal lid

i can see the benifits to a flip lid as i wear glasses and pain having take them on and off each time, flip up that is not an issue
the enthusiast

Post by the enthusiast »

Try a Schberth C3 different helmets fit different shaped heads and fit is the most important thing of all . A £500 lid that doesnt fit will make it seem like the worst most uncomfortable helmet in the world and next to useless in a head road interface!! Too tight severe headache and crushed ears! Too lose and it will be all over the place at speed, vibrate, noisy and draughty. If you hit the road a lose helmet can come off or twist and snap yer neck. You want snug firm and comfortable. Try them all .

I've never heard of a flip front chin guard failing and anyone suffering the consequences. I do know of a few of our boys in blue that have had offs in various Flip fronts. BMW system helmets and Shoei s and all were fine.

I've had a few Flip type , but for my shaped head the C3 is the best flip front I have ever had. Expensive but light and quiet, nice quality. Can get coms kit that replaces the collar. You can also replace the entire lining when its looking a bit tired. Its a fantastic boon to touring when its hot. Stop for a minute and flip the front up , instant cool down, nice .

If Flip fronts were not safe, believe me, our boys in blue are fully Health and Safety,( compensation) Aware and all their kit has to be tested and approved.

Cheers

Return to “CLOTHING”