always wear full gear.

Does my ass look big in these?
Phil

Re: always wear full gear.

Post by Phil »

Redmurty wrote:
Sprockette wrote:Glad you're okay. Does anyone know how protective textile stuff is for sliding? I don't just mean where the armour would be on them I mean on the large panels like on the outside of the thigh etc. I'm not entirely sure you'd get much in the way of slide protection from textiles but I'm open to change my mind.
I wonder how much the armour would actually stay in place when wearing textiles.

cheers Spud ;)
i always thought this, guess it depends on your suit and how well it fits.

If im going to be knocked off i want it to be after some green lanning rather than a day out on my road bike. As i would rather hit the deck wearing my pressure suit and articulating Knee guards than relaying on the armour in my road bike gear (which i think the armour would move out of place guarenteed)
xtzrick

Post by xtzrick »

Redmurty wrote:
Sprockette wrote:Glad you're okay. Does anyone know how protective textile stuff is for sliding? I don't just mean where the armour would be on them I mean on the large panels like on the outside of the thigh etc. I'm not entirely sure you'd get much in the way of slide protection from textiles but I'm open to change my mind.
Textile arn't as good as leather for sliding, skin slides well hence cyclist shave their legs easier for sliding and cleaning after. It's not the sliding that hurts it's the sudden stop that makes your eyes water. I wonder how much the armour would actually stay in place when wearing textiles.

cheers Spud ;)
Some textile manufacturers add PTFE to their clothing to aid sliding & reduce snagging that can twist & break limbs.

Also, the bloke I bought my textiles from said that cow hide rips more easily than textiles when wet.

Still prefer leather, better at absorbing sweat, if this waterproof breathable membrane worked I wouldn't need big vents :angry:

Glad you're ok Mr.Inj. & well done for not injuring the driver :whistle:

Rick

P.S. I believe the emergency services measure skin/bone wear against tarmac in inches/second :pinch:
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

xtzrick wrote:
Redmurty wrote:
Textile arn't as good as leather for sliding, skin slides well hence cyclist shave their legs easier for sliding and cleaning after. It's not the sliding that hurts it's the sudden stop that makes your eyes water. I wonder how much the armour would actually stay in place when wearing textiles.

cheers Spud ;)
Some textile manufacturers add PTFE to their clothing to aid sliding & reduce snagging that can twist & break limbs.

Also, the bloke I bought my textiles from said that cow hide rips more easily than textiles when wet.

Still prefer leather, better at absorbing sweat, if this waterproof breathable membrane worked I wouldn't need big vents :angry:

Glad you're ok Mr.Inj. & well done for not injuring the driver :whistle:

Rick

P.S. I believe the emergency services measure skin/bone wear against tarmac in inches/second :pinch:
Yes you workout the co-efficients of the tarmac by skid test or used to, :pinch:

cheers spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
special one

Post by special one »

I read a report a while ago on abrasion resistance and different materials, here's what I can remember...

Denim, ~ 1 second before wearing through
Textiles ~ upto 10 seconds depending on design, material used etc
Kevlar I think was around 8-10 seconds
Leather was upto 40 seconds depending on thickness etc

I have binned a bike wearing textiles in the rain at 30 mph and they didn't even scratch, but I hardly slid and landed on a grass verge, but on Tarmac I'd prefer to be wearing leather every time.
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
hornet

Post by hornet »

lancashirelad wrote:I saw quite a few riding in shorts & T shirts at the weekend I always feel like stopping them & telling 'em how stupid they are!!!!
I nipped to halfords last night in the sun with jeans n t shirt on

whats the problem were all grown ups and can make our own minds up then ride acordingly

Life is a dangerous experience, but if we all thought the worst all the time we would never even leave our own beds

if im out for a ride then yes i do wear all the kit especially when im greenlaning and i do mean all the kit not just a textile suit with armour that honestly wouldnt help at all

hornet
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

I've never come off and slid down the road wearing textiles, so i've no idea how it would hold up.
But... the lit end off my roll up smoke dropped onto the arm of my Furygan textile jacket once and it melted right through it. This would suggest to me that most textiles, Sheltex, Cordura etc, have nylon type material in their construction, and the heat friction of sliding down the road could make them melt onto your skin.
I always feel safer wearing leather, though its just not that practical.... hot in summer and cold in winter.
hotbulb

Post by hotbulb »

Well, I wear all the gear whenever I go out on the bike. I've once had to test the gear, and it did exactly what it was supposed to: a sudden tyre deflation on the M4 at about 65mph. The textile kit was decidedly 2nd-hand afterwards, but I emerged unscathed.
So I'm happy with textiles, or leather.
Zeebad

Post by Zeebad »

Glad to hear the OP is unhurt.

Some time ago I was led to believe that a certain amount of melting is designed in to some textile gear, but to stick to the road and slow the rider down, not to stick to the skin. No idea how true that is though.

When deciding what to wear it's also worth considering how hot you are likely to be, overheating and/or dehydration significantly affects how well the brain works, so while full leathers offer the best protection, on hot days they can increase the chances you'll make a mistake and need to test the protection!
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on the list.
Devonboy

Post by Devonboy »

Glad your ok. Always wear my gear. Plymouth MAG have organized an awarness avent for all road user's with truck's, bus's, for people to get behind the wheel and get a perspective of what other's see. Still wont stop the Numpty's.
bull

Post by bull »

well over the past 26 years of riding bikes i have tested leathers and textile gear and also the t shirt version. the leathers held up well when i crashed on the mountain mad sunday at the tt some years ago and the textile did their job in a 90mph crash had a few years before that. Now the t shirt version did not do well at all, after many hours of pain as the nurses cleaned the grit from the wounds i then had to go through the skin grafts, O you would all love them and the infection the follows. after weeks of pain and healing i said to myself that i was one thick bastard for not wearing gear.

Return to “CLOTHING”