Reflective decals & other ways to avoid death

The essential art of farkling.
ElDiabloJuanCarlos

Reflective decals & other ways to avoid death

Post by ElDiabloJuanCarlos »

As part of the deal with my better half that gets me back on a bike, I've got to do everything I can to 'not die' in a ditch somewhere (win:win deal really). So while I'm on track to get an airbag jacket, a reflective jacket, white helmet etc... I'm not sure where I can track down any reflective decals to suit my bike (White Funduro).
Worst case scenario, I'll try my best with some sheets of 'Scotchlite 3M' and a scissors, but I'd prefer if my bike didn't look like it was decorated by a 6 year old.

Any other tips and tricks to cheat death appreciated :)
davsato

Re: Reflective decals & other ways to avoid death

Post by davsato »

you dont have to look like a christmas tree, you can get some ultra reflective SOLAS tape, a little goes a long way but it is expensive. also you can get stealth stuff that is black or white or most colours in daylight, but well bright when 'lit up'. you can get some great sticker kits too.
look here, some really good setups, some OTT
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... ight=decal
Dave
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

e_2010-10-19.jpg
e_2010-10-19.jpg (5.53 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
20060107172251-0-7335_2010-10-19.jpg
20060107172251-0-7335_2010-10-19.jpg (47.92 KiB) Viewed 2952 times

[ebay]270647147918[/ebay]
AckAckFlack

Post by AckAckFlack »

I had a similar deal to be done with my far better half, she did say she would be well p@@@@ if I killed myself!

I wear one if these 

http://www.grandprixlegends.com/motorcy ... ellow.html

I find that it gets noticed ! I know isn't fashion but as I have a varadero which is nice n tall I can be seen over the top of cars. This beats wearing a bib which can be seen when the car infront clears the junction and the driver decides it's clear from the t junction and goes for it.

There is a danger these days, with all of the hi viz jackets worn to blend in ! Not only that the drowsy cage driver no longer registers you as a threat.

Adding a couple of fog lamps low down and as wide as possible also helps. A single light coming towards a driver is very difficult to work out the closing speed. A triangular pattern to the lights give more reference points and has been shown that your approaching speed is easier to calculate.

The best improvement for bikes are by improving the rider!
Consider taking advanced riding training with the likes of institute of advanced motorists. They teach you to ride defensively - planning ahead making you anticipate better.

I recently went on an Adventure bike offroad training day' it is designed for larger bikes such as my Africa twin. The day consisted of learning how to recover a front end lock up , riding on gravel and leaves.!  Getting the back end to shimmy around and getting used to hiw it feels.
It was a fantastic day and I feel more confident on road- no longer worried about that mud in the road which used to scare the b'jesus out of me.
BBRR - Big Bike Rough Road Riders Group

It's all about how big it is and how Rough you use it :-)

The journey aimed to challenge the perception of blindness…

Usually People call me Sir... closely followed by 'You are making a scene!'
Zenarchy

Post by Zenarchy »

I got some reflective vinyl stickers from ebay for my new panniers. If you do a search for 'reflective vinyl' you'll find a lot of different sized sheets listed. Or if you have a vinyl sign making company near you they can probably sell you some offcuts cheaply.

Mine does look a bit like it's been decorated by a 6 year old, but that's down to me rather than the vinyl itself. If you wanted to be really accurate or want something a bit more flashy, you could design the exact shapes you wanted in a vector illustration program (corel draw, adobe illustrator, or 'inkscape' that's available for free) and give the designs to a vinyl company for them to cut it out in the reflective vinyl colour you want.
ardcase.jpg
ardcase.jpg (144.41 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

If you get good life insurance you will find she will actively encourage you to buy a motorbike!;)
Jimbike

Post by Jimbike »

Sounds like a good deal with your wife.
I've never been hot on all the hi-vis stuff, though a nice shiny helmet can help (oh err nurse!) and I'm sure it works for some situations.
I'd say the best tip to avoid death is your riding. Advanced rider training, watching more experienced rider can help or ride off road regularly which helps your control and confidence. Road positioning can also make you very obvious in lots of situations.
Enjoy riding.
If you have eaten your breakfast, clean your bowl.
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

First the helmet you can get a dayglow yellow one, as worn by top instructors:lol:
Thats if you want to look like the meat accompamying your gentlemans vegetables, alternativly Halfords do 20mm reflective tape for about £7, I have a vertical strip on the rear of my lid and it works a treat.
Now the tricky one, buy a cheapo Sam brown belt, either the one that lights up or a plain reflective and dayglo,and wear it when leaving / getting home, and your wife will think that anyone who looks that tragic, couldn't possibly get into trouble, let alone die while looking so stupid!
Remember she won't be with you 99.9% of the time, so you'll both feel better.
And for those that say that you NEVER EVER lie to your better halfs, think on this... does your Mrs know the true value of those shiney glitzy aftermarket parts????
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

I dont wear any hi viz yellow clothing, although some of my textiles do have small reflective strips on them that reflect other vehicles lights, but obviously they only work at night.
But i'm a definite believer in the loud pipes save lives school of thought. My Strom has a standard exhaust (quiet) and i constantly get miopic drivers not seeing me on this bike... but my Bandit has a Blueflame Dual Port Titanium can, with both baffles removed, i have nowhere near as many drivers blind to me when i'm riding that.
Lancastermick

Post by Lancastermick »

mark1150 wrote:... does your Mrs know the true value of those shiney glitzy aftermarket parts????
..oh that?...that was a fiver luv. What that? ...yeah that was a fiver too!...Yeah, they had a sale on!
"Man needs difficulties, they are necessary for health." - Carl Jung

Return to “ACCESSORIES”