Hard Cases or Soft Luggage?

The essential art of farkling.
Spencert231

Hard Cases or Soft Luggage?

Post by Spencert231 »

Not sure if this question has been asked before, but in a spot of a dilemma over choice. Why I need either is a simple case of travelling to and from France to UK as a contractor. The main kit will go with the Tiger in the vehicle and over the following months travelling back home to France for weekends, etc.

So what would you guys do, given the same situation. There maybe some people doing this type of travelling and wish they had hard cases where they have soft or "vicky vercka".

I spoke to Roger from Ardcases and he was a great help and gave me some of the pro's and cons, but has he was the first to say: "I am trying to sell them to you" but much of what he said was valid, but the cost is nearly double. So I cannot afford to make any mistakes.

All contribution gratefully received no matter how small.
Redmurty

Re: Hard Cases or Soft Luggage?

Post by Redmurty »

I use hard cases now but have used soft in the past. the down side of soft saddle type bags are potential damage to your paint work, easier to break into. Upside potential less space taken up when storing them. Hard cases harder to break into better fit to the bike hope this helps some cheers spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

For me it's a case of whether you will be leaving the bike at any point with the luggage on it. If no, then I would say soft all day long. Giant Loop, the new Kriega Overland stuff, Wolfman etc, there are a handful of really good brands making great stuff.

Hard cases? I guess they have a use and they seem to be de rigeur for ABRs but the cost is high (for me Rogers are not expensive and still good quality). If cost is an issue, I'd buy the best soft stuff you can afford that's waterproof.

There is a guy in Romania who makes hard cases which are damn good value and seem fine. Someone will be able to give you a link I'm sure.

How the likes of Touratech can justify the prices they charge for cases I have no idea. I saw some recently which were absolutely beaten up and dented and that was just from one trip and only minor drops.
Rederic

Post by Rederic »

I would go for hard case's then you have the option to put soft case's inside them? Or tie them ontop of the lids
Plus there is always a market for used hard luggage
If your not the lead dog the view never change's
Bonniebird

Post by Bonniebird »

I've used both and for me hard cases win hands down. More secure, waterproof, can tie extra luggage to the top and for me they have protected my bike when I've dropped it :whistle:
Diesel Pete

Post by Diesel Pete »

Soft cases can slip and melt on the exhaust leaving your stuff all over the M6....... I know this for a fact :whistle:

Also, whether or not it is due to the above mentioned or not I am always nervous about soft cases and have to keep stopping to check they still there/not on fire/ not about to fall into the chain...etc etc

Hard cases every time for me, not necesarily uber expensive metal ones either. I used the plastic cheapies from Ebay on my other bike for a few years now with no problem even during an off where they got scuffed but saved my bike from more damage.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

I think the security side of hard cases is a bit overstated really. You can have them open in seconds with any kind of pry bar.
Mr Free Market

Post by Mr Free Market »

Hard for road & soft for trail? There is a perfect answer to this question & it’s a the foot of the answer to what’s the best adventure bike, just to the left of that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow

For the first time last summer I used a set of TT Zegas on a 2,500 mile road trip round France & they were brilliant. Having said that, if I were doing a serious overland trip I’d go soft – preferable something that I could stitch up with a sail repair kit

If you can, try both & see what works best for you
Over a long enough timeline, everyones survival rate drops to zero
Selous

Post by Selous »

This thread has been done before, run a search mate.

Take your pick pays your £££ me my new bike came with Plastic Givi cases Not your size of the titanic Metal boxes, but in past use soft.

For the record if you need the loo with soft you need to take them with you & squeeze in the cubicle, or you could come back to empty throw overs, ( Cut open, gear removed, panniers still on bike covered in bungees!!! :evil: ), been there :whistle: & (was only going for a pee)

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

I don't think there's an answer to it tbh. I've swapped from one to the other so many times over the decades I've almost forgotten what I'm supposed to be using on which bike.

I started with soft as it was cheaper and it was all I could afford, then went hard with Craven stuff (in the 70's), then back to soft when I decided it was all too big and bulky, then hard again with Krauser stuff, then soft for an overlanding trip in the 90's, then I made a number of sets of diy hard luggage, some of which I'm still using. I'm now looking at soft again for the next bike and have been digging out some of the leftover soft stuff from the last cycle. At the same time I've got a set of retro-hard (Craven) on a classic bike.

Safety and security have always been an issue but the only time I had a significant amount of stuff stolen was from hard luggage that wasn't removable from the bike overnight. The locks were prised open. On the other hand I've had soft luggage fall off and not notice it. No conclusions from all of this, just decades of going round in circles.

The ups and downs of 40 years on two wheels

www.pisquicktours.co.uk

Do the best you can, then try to live it down.

CCM604 Honda XR600 Honda CBX1000

Honda 400/4 Yamaha XS2 650 Kawasaki H1 500

Lotus Elan, Land Rover Discovery

Return to “ACCESSORIES”