Hard Cases or Soft Luggage?

The essential art of farkling.
Bonniebird

Re: Hard Cases or Soft Luggage?

Post by Bonniebird »

Just seen these on ebay, not sure of quality tho...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-mot ... 4ab43953ac
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

I have used both and prefer the hard panniers for security and ease of use and access. i don't have aluminium ones though as I have heard that the plastic ones stand up better in minor crashes and run less of a risk in twisting the frame in a major off.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
Still Gotta Pulse

Post by Still Gotta Pulse »

I was in a similar situation recently and then bought the Wolfman soft luggage. I sold them before even attempting to fit them because after weighing up all pros/cons it came to me that hard cases would suit my requirements much more.

If you're handy with tools and ideas then you don't have to spend huge amounts for good hard cases.
I bought a used, but as new, Motech rack system for £120 and three w/proof cases to adapt to fit. Total outlay , less than £200.

Wolfmans are £185 per pair , not including the rack system.

Hard cases also have much easier/quicker access than the dry bags. Pretty handy when in the Alps and the heavens open unexpectedly! Don't ask me how I know.
Smelly Dog

Post by Smelly Dog »

Have a look at Andystrapz.. Bought some yesterday.
Soft roll bags, waterproof & totally hard wearing, it's what the Ozzie ADV rider is wearing.
Very secure as they are held in place by 2 Strapz one vertical & one horizontal. He made n sold the Strapz before the bags.

Also pretty good for bilke protection as they hit the ground & absorb a lot of the energy due to the impact being absorbed by the bag, they stay on navies the Strapz are so strong, even in a crash.

Most Ozzies ride off road here, long distances over varied terrain, they work !!

Big safety point !!!
Ever had your leg/foot fought under a hard pannier bag !!
"Never Forget Your Welsh"

or the name of the woman in the morning !!!
Smelly Dog

Post by Smelly Dog »

Have a look at Andystrapz.. Bought some yesterday.
Soft roll bags, waterproof & totally hard wearing, it's what the Ozzie ADV rider is wearing.
Very secure as they are held in place by 2 Strapz one vertical & one horizontal. He made n sold the Strapz before the bags.

Also pretty good for bilke protection as they hit the ground & absorb a lot of the energy due to the impact being taken by the bag, they stay on because the Strapz are so strong, even in a crash.

Most Ozzies ride off road here, long distances over varied terrain, they work !!

Big safety point !!!
Ever had your leg/foot caught under a hard pannier bag !!
"Never Forget Your Welsh"

or the name of the woman in the morning !!!
Orlando_Orange

Post by Orlando_Orange »

used ard cases on my super ten (750) but now i'm moved down to the x-challenge am switching back to soft... i think on a big adv bike (750cc +) hard cases are a good option, providing you're not riding too much off road stuff with them. but on a smaller bike they're a bit bulky and awkward...

and there are ways to secure soft bags too...
Chris

G650 X-Challenge

'91 XTZ750
Mr Toad

Post by Mr Toad »

Hard Ali panniers look the dogs and have loads of advantages and disadvantages. In part it depends on what you want to do with your bike and how long you are going to be away. They are a lot of money, both the the boxes and the frames, and if you change you bike a couple of years down the line, it's new frames.

Some folk have the skills and inclination to make their own which is great.

You don't need Ali boxes, you might want or like them which is different.

They do weight quite a bit as well, a pair of Hepco and Becker Journey boxes (35 litres) weight 11 kg (just the boxes) if you have a small bike or are doing lots of off road stuff it's an issue. If they are 35 or 37 or even 45 litres each thats a lot space which you will fill with more weight and a lot of stuff you really don't need. Light is right. IMHO

Certainly I've toured Europe with just a 40 litre waterproof roll bag strapped on the back of the seat, if I'm not camping.

Your luggage system needs to be easy to use, theres nothing worse if you are moving on every day or so spending quite a bit of time lashing multiple waterproof bags to the back of you bike.

Just some thoughts. Hope they help. :)
Never enough time and so much to see and experience.

Previously a VStrom 650, and a KTM SMR 950, currently XT600E with many mods. And now a F800GS Trophy since the KTM has gone.
Rondini

Post by Rondini »

I go for hard , top loading
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Some great replies and have given me a lot of food for thought. Someone did touch on a very good point: "do i need them or do I like them"? Or am I romanticizing about dressing my bike up to look like a "traveler" when at the moment all I am doing is weekend travel with dirty washing and the odd bottle of Marmite (hard to get in France.

Thinking of the loop throw over at the moment. I am trying to brave here and keeping an open mind about my real needs and not "boys and their toys" cos I would buy all the toys in the shop and only use them once if at all.

Bugger!! I am loosing the plot and travel across mid March. I really appreciate the comments, thanks.
GB

Post by GB »

I had hard on the 1200 but going to soft on the 800, probably Wolfman.
Finally back on a GS :D

Return to “ACCESSORIES”