Soft panniers - Opinions please

The essential art of farkling.
Mark1961

Soft panniers - Opinions please

Post by Mark1961 »

A topic on hard luggage (ally boxes) appeared not so long ago. The problem for me is some of them cost more than the bike itself. (a separate topic, me thinks) What about soft luggage? The only major problem I can see is the frame to support them cost more than the bags themselves. I like the Idea of these.....
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!
LargeWayRound

Re: Soft panniers - Opinions please

Post by LargeWayRound »

Hi Mark

I got myself a second hand pair of ortlieb soft panniers, they are totally waterproof .. and hold there shape somewhat when using ..

Had to fit Givi soft frame rails to keep them secured away from the TA exhaust.

Getting the waterproofing tested on mull , they are empty in this picture.

Full, on way home from Galloway

Picture of the Givi Soft Frames.. £39 or so.

:)
ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

I would love to get one of these, but I have no money. On the plus side I dont think I would need any pannier rails as the exhaust mufflers on xt660z dont get hot. At least I think they dont.

[video][/video]
I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

snaphappy

Post by snaphappy »

I've seen quite a few straps chewed up where they're forgotten or just come undone, but the biggest danger of soft luggage is it falling off. Stories are not rare of lost luggage. On our local roads earlier this year a biker died when his sleeping bag fell off the bike and got caught in the back wheel, the wheel locked and the off dicapitated the rider. A horrible thought.
With soft luggage I use a 50ltr rolltop drybag strapped and bungied to the rear seat I wont have anything strapped to the sides allthough that wolfman stuff looks great and secure but for the price you could get hard luggage.
What bike do you have? luggage racks give extra protection and they are not that expensive, hard luggage does not have to be MetalMules or TT. I use pioneer boxes from the Swiss Army they cost me €35 a pair and are 100% waterproof. I got them through ebay but have not seen any for ages, alternatives are there though. Have a look through my album here
http://www.adventurebikerider.com/hello ... albumid=66
For more info click on the Dambuster Signature banner

ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

Great pictures :) You must be so strong. I used to have a varadero found it really heavy when stopping on a camber even without luggage. I think I would like soft luggage to keep the weight down and whittle the stuff I carry down to the bare minimum. Im not talking about chopping the handle of my toothbrush or drilling holes in spoon handles but packing light can be a philosophical exercise. E.g. What is really important in my life? Ok so I dont need the handle on my toothbrush! :laugh:
I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”