Tell me about heated grips...

The essential art of farkling.
diggermanbob

Re: Tell me about heated grips...

Post by diggermanbob »

byewayrider wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:50 pm New generation Oxford heated grips with auto shut off controller and either bar protectors for wind deflection or muffs if your a true all year biker.... Gortex gloves make a huge difference as they stop the wind chill compared to leather and synthetic stuff...

You could always stuff your hands around your bollocks to warm them up... Lol.
He is a bloody lunatic with his hands on the bars god knows what he would be like holding his bollocks as well :lol:
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

diggermanbob wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:28 pm
byewayrider wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:50 pm New generation Oxford heated grips with auto shut off controller and either bar protectors for wind deflection or muffs if your a true all year biker.... Gortex gloves make a huge difference as they stop the wind chill compared to leather and synthetic stuff...

You could always stuff your hands around your bollocks to warm them up... Lol.
He is a bloody lunatic with his hands on the bars god knows what he would be like holding his bollocks as well :lol:
Best answer so far. Knew I could rely on you Bob.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't want them to ride all winter. The last time I rode all winter was when I couldn't afford a car, in about 1983. Not interested in purgatory riding. I just want to be able to take the bike out on dry bright days when it's cold in the morning but warms up later. Lots of weather like that in my part of France right now for instance. I like the idea of being able to use summer gloves in Autumn/Spring.

I also like the idea of keeping the grip diameter as close to standard as poss. I don't want great big fat harley custom grips. And I need them to switch themselves off when I park up because I will inevitably forget them and drain the battery otherwise. Confucious he say, 'know thyself, thou art a nob when it comes to remembering anything'.

I'll start taking a look at those suggestions now. Ta. :D
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Heated grips are rubbish.... as I found after getting a pair of heated gloves!
I fitted Oxford grips to various bikes for years. They got pretty hot on the max. setting - hot palms anyway, but still cold backs-of-hands and fingertips. The latter could be warmed up but that involved holding the grips with fingertips in a strange, claw-like posture.
The Oxfords were good - I always fitted them via a relay so I couldn't accidentally leave them on. I think I'd still do so even with the so-called 'intelligent' grips that are supposed to switch themselves off (presumably when the voltage drops below a certain level as it will when the alternator's not charging).
Several years ago I bought some Gerbing heated gloves for my winter commute and they're brilliant - far, far better than grips for keeping the whole hand nicely warm.
The gloves can be heated either with on-board, rechargeable little batteries or using a fused cable connected to the battery, with a QD connector. The batteries last quite a while, depending which of the 3 heat settings are used. I reckon around 4 hrs on the lowest setting (which I had on today with an air temp of around 10/11 degrees).
Drawbacks with the gloves? Initially, they can seem a bit bulky with the on-board batteries fitted, but I soon got used to that. Also, sleeves can really only be tucked onto the gloves and not worn outside of them with the batteries in place.
Here they are recharging after a couple of hours out today....
Attachments
20211107_162134.jpg
20211107_162134.jpg (198.83 KiB) Viewed 2859 times
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

I had some cheap oxford knockoffs on my xt660z. Warm'ish but the controller gave out so I just fitted an on/off switch. However as stated above not great in full winter - unless you fit muffs 😀. With heated grips and mid weight gloves it's great. No overly thick gloves that tire you out and the hands stay nice and warm. Has to be the long cuff like muffs. They might look iffy and you might be worried about getting g hands in and out but within a few miles you forget about it and enjoy toasty hands. I fit sleeves over the clutch and brake leavers as these can be very cold and transfer cold to fingers if used a lot in traffic.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Thanks Mark and Redbike - but that's all a bit bulky and arctic isn't it? You are probably rufty-tufty-well-ard-all-weather-grit-and-hardship riders who regard 2 degrees C as a mild day. Full marks to you, respect and all the rest. But I'm not. Think southern softy occasionally riding a garage queen in 12-15C feeling the chill a bit on his perfectly manicured tips. That's me.

I really don't want great big insulated gauntlets or muffs (on an MV Agusta Brutale? Really, darling?).

So is it still worth bothering with the heated grips? Doesn't sound like it...
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

Dave, have you tried wearing nitrile gloves under your normal gloves, you will be surprised how it stops the wind chill and its cheap :idea:
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Actually, I would say that for temps if 12-15C, which are relatively high, grips would make a reasonable difference as at those sort of temps there's little or no risk of finger tips numbing. The grips will warm up your palms and the heat should spread around the hand fairly well. I guess my previous observations were made on the assumption of cold, bright winter days with near freezing temps - when riding can be a joy with the right gear on.
Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

After years of commuting year round with no "extras", getting heated grips was an eye opener!

I use muffs too in the winter, but I love the ability to turn them on whilst riding home on a nippy English summer evening...

Just wire them to a switched source & you won't flatted your battery.
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

Plus one for Oxford heated grips (with v8 controller).

Positives:
Auto shutoff (can be disabled).
5 heat settings, from just slightly warm, to too hot for comfort in freezing sleet.
4 different types, all heat the same, but are different lengths and thickness.
Reliable.
Great price.

Negatives:
You have to remove the old grips and glue the Oxfords on.
Wiring them up (routing the wires) can be fiddly (depending on the bike).

Add hand guards for best effect.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

I fitted some Oxford grips and they get nice and warm/hot but my hands are used to thin and supple MX type grips and the Oxfords feel like im holding a couple of pick axe handles
Looking to replace with some of those elements that go under grips (ive been saying that for months)

Return to “ACCESSORIES”