Tell me about heated grips...

The essential art of farkling.
P4ulie

Re: Tell me about heated grips...

Post by P4ulie »

To get the most out of heated grips you really need muffs, you can wear summer gloves all year round. The reason I prefer them over a heated glove is for those spring / summer days when there's a bit of a chill on your way home. Put em on & you're still good to go.

I've got Oxfords on the CCM, tbh I don't like the grip, best I've ever had were Honda OEM, I tried the symtex & they're fine but one side broke fairly quickly & couldn't work out where, matters worse it was the accelerator so that was a very unpleasant winter :(
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

Worth a watch.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Heated grips are good. But heat gloves are the future.

Especially if, like me, you change bikes every few years. I've fitted heated grips to several bikes in the last 10 years but once again my bike doesn't have them. Heated gloves can even be used when you aren't on the bike!
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Brenhden wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:39 am Heated grips are good. But heat gloves are the future.

Especially if, like me, you change bikes every few years. I've fitted heated grips to several bikes in the last 10 years but once again my bike doesn't have them. Heated gloves can even be used when you aren't on the bike!
Ahhh, ref. my post above, at last someone else 'gets' the practicality and comfort of heated gloves!! After years of having Oxford grips, I'll not get them again. Though to be fair, the grips were good at cool but not very cold temperatures when only my palms got any real warmth.
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

I'm a long time fan of heated grips and now spec them on new bikes every time:

Best ones were Honda on the VFR, multiple levels and even temperature.

Triumph are second, with the handguards on the Tiger 900 helping. As an aside I did have a heated seats on a previous Tiger 800 and while I only used them twice were good at keeping you warm when required.

BMW are OK, but I find that the ones on my R1250RS are a little cooler than I would expect. Previous on an F650 were OK too.

Worst were Oxford which I fitted to the Transalp, either too hot or too cool, despite multiple levels. That was a long time ago, not sure the design has moved on though.

I've never tried a (handlebar) muff, but not sure how I would get on with all the new fangled switches on modern bikes and suspect heated gloves will suffer from wear and tear and eventual lack of waterproofing like they all do.

I think heated grips are a good compromise in an imperfect world.
Yoyo

Post by Yoyo »

I've used heated grips for years but on the last couple of bikes I've extended the handguards to keep the wind off my thumb and finger tips, it makes a huge difference.

The only issue I've had is wearing Gortex gloves with heated grips on, I've found they always leak but was told it's due to the heat of tue grips reversing the breathable part of the Gortex, not sure if it's true but it makes sense.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

Personally I don't like heated gloves. They're expensive, bulky, uncomfortable and you need to plug them in every time you put them on. Or charge if you have the battery version, and hope the battery doesn't go flat. Controls are often fiddly. Once they start to leak you can basically write them off.
I can purchase Oxford grips for under 70 euros, including shipping, I cannot find heated gloves for under 200.
For me it's heated Oxford grips with hand guards. Then I can use my comfortable summer gloves all year long. And they stay dry while riding.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings folks

I wonder if any of you Pampera owners have heated grips fitted.

I have Symtec Heat Demons fitted to my Serow but that has a battery. Problem is that I am not sure if the Pampera has enough capacity from the alternator even though the current requirement is only about 3amps?

I only wear trials gloves as my hands can not cope with thicker gloves. I have fitted handlebar muffs which do help but are a bit of a hinderance in sections.

Thanks for any guidance that you can give.

TTFN

Hugh.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Update, I have easily fitted a set of film type heaters, similar to Symtec and supplied by John Shirt Motors. The Oxford grips look too bulky and might get caught on twigs etc. I will fit the Oxford ones to the Norton.

The control switch I have inserted through the right hand side of speedo housing, the housing securing bolt acts as the earth point and the power feed is taken from the yellow cable direct from the alternator. Must get out soon to fully test.
Feed.jpeg
Feed.jpeg (167.35 KiB) Viewed 2527 times
Switch.jpeg
Switch.jpeg (167.22 KiB) Viewed 2527 times
TTFN

Hugh.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I fitted some symtec under-grip hand heaters to my ex TTR600 which also had no battery. I was worried about outputs and capacities etc but the 3 or 4 amps needed were easily supplied by the alternator even though the output figures were not encouraging, as all the electrics were basic and pared down to a minimum.. light flywheel etc.

They worked fine, and came on when I kickstarted that big 600 beast lol, though of course there was a switch and fuse.
The big problem I had was with the Earth Connection.. Symtec even advertised the fact that most problems they received, as complaints, was with the Earth connection, which had no direct route to no battery lol, so relied on the metal of the bike frame. This is the weak point of the system. so take care .. perhaps even make a few connections to the frame?

Return to “ACCESSORIES”