Opinions on SW Motech pannier system

The essential art of farkling.
bowber

Opinions on SW Motech pannier system

Post by bowber »

My wife is getting a new bike so she's looking at panniers to fit it, I like the look of the SW Motech system with the quick release frame, having the ability to remove the frames while they're not in use has a lot of benefits such as weight and making the bike narrower.
Has anyone used them?
Do the clips stay tight or do they wear out and become loose?
Do they feel nice and firm once fitted?

I know the Givi frames give a lot of options and we're also looking at them but we've seen second hand SW Trax panniers at reasonable prices too.

Thanks
Steve
Steve T

Re: Opinions on SW Motech pannier system

Post by Steve T »

Hi Steve.

I've had a set on one of my F8GSs and now have a set on my CB5X. In my experience there has been no wear on the locking clips.

They are great quality and they wear well, condition wise. I got a set of locking handles for mine as without they, the pannier frames, can just be removed with a big coin.

When the pannier frames are removed the mounts are really discreet.

Thumbs up from me . . . if there was a thumbs up smiley of course :roll:

Steve T

8-)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
jed54

Post by jed54 »

I'll second Steve's view. Had my Trax for 12 years now still work as well as when new. The panniers have been reshaped
a few times and still no problems.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Had a set on 800gs for 4 years and same on S10, solid fit, easy on off, locable fitting if you're paranoid, hardly notice brackets when they are off.
Recommended :D
bowber

Post by bowber »

Good to hear, Alison wanted a lighter bike than her AT so my thinking was to then add the extra weight of pannier frames permanently to the bike kind of defeats the object.

Steve
waggy

Post by waggy »

Hi

I have a set of these on my GS12 and the boxes are great but the pannier rails are not so good. They were kept on the bike all the time but I did not expect them to be in this state. This pictures show them after 2 years use. I emailed the company I bought them from and after a couple of emails with pictures they were exchanged.

I have replaced all the bolts and having the pannier clamp (bent bit of chromed metal) being powder coated as the plating was poor to start with. Again I contacted them and SW Motech replied and said just use AF50 as they are all like that.

I might just be unlucky because I did look at others and these did come out best. Would I buy again, probably as they fit well and the fact they can be removed is great.

I know they have changed the design so not sure if these are the same as you are looking at.

Just my experience with them

David

ImageImageImage

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk
bowber

Post by bowber »

I think we'll go with the SW system, the rack is slightly different now but does the same job and it'll be taken off and stored inside when we're not touring.
The downside to the SW system is there isn't as many options for second hand boxes available but when you're buying the whole lot that doesn't matter and they are currently just over £800 including postage, I can't believe I've just said that, 6 years ago I'd not have considered spending that much on some Ali boxes! :oops:

Steve

Return to “ACCESSORIES”