Trackers that do not need to be hard wired?.

The essential art of farkling.
HoboBeemer

Trackers that do not need to be hard wired?.

Post by HoboBeemer »

Afternoon,

Since this technology now seems to be priced within what I can justify, has anyone had experience or currently own one of the many trackers that seem to be on the market now?.

I am looking for a Magnetic fitment type rather than one that has to be hard wired, I see that a lot of noise if being made of the MoniMoto tracker but many say it is quite big plus there is a subscription fee?, I see there are also copious amounts on Amazon all seemingly to be the same unit under different names?.

Ideally I want something that notifies me if the bike is moved via txt message and also something that does not cost the earth with a subscription, extra brownie points if you know of a unit that works without said subscription.

I am all ears.
one-two-three-four

Re: Trackers that do not need to be hard wired?.

Post by one-two-three-four »

Monimoto, when the free subscription expires put an Asda PAYG sim in is where I am at, seems good VFM especially as I bought it used. If I go away I can move it from bike to bike depending on which one I am using.
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

THere are a few satellite trackers around. I have one from Back2you. It is hardwired to the bike but also uses its own internal battery. It has various settings including a movement sensor, a geofence and also a built in microphone. The sim is from GiffGaff 5p a text.
Only one downside is that if it “loses” a satellite you get a text message, not a problem except if it is at 3am! The geofence needs to be set at the default of 200 metres to avoid this.

Other similar ‘trackers’ are available..

Tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...
HoboBeemer

Post by HoboBeemer »

one-two-three-four wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:56 pm Monimoto, when the free subscription expires put an Asda PAYG sim in is where I am at, seems good VFM especially as I bought it used. If I go away I can move it from bike to bike depending on which one I am using.
Ok, ;)

Still way behind the times with this tech, so sorry for my naive questions....

So you are saying that you can use the device and app with a regular PAYG Sim if needed?, also what is the actual size of the device?.

Ref "other" units, hardwired is a absolute no no, one as my two bikes are old now and I will not be faffing with cutting into the loom and two I want the option of moving from bike to bike.

The reason I am entertaining the idea now is not so much for when the bike/s are at home it is for when I am travelling and at hotels, I get that horrible sick feeling in my stomach when I have to leave the bike out of sight in a public location, I want the movement txt alert function over anything else if I am honest. The one thing I have just seen with the Moni unit is that it has European cover.
one-two-three-four

Size is 3.5x3.5x12.6cm from the web. It's fairly easy to hide and has tags so you zip tie it in. I put mine inside an old push bike inner tube and then zip tie it out of sight.
There is some info on the web about other SIMs to use / are recommended. I chose ASDA as it allows you to setup an auto top up when it gets to a set figure (in my case down to £5). As the monimoto one is actually calling you on the first notification, you are using your credit "similiar" to a mobile (ie not just texts) so you don't have to take it out of the tracker, and put it in a phone every few months to make a call to keep your credit live. That is presuming you bump into your bike every month and trigger an alarm. ... which I seem to do.
one-two-three-four

Ps if travelling with a Monimoto (ie camping or sleeping close to it) you will need a small RFID secure pouch off Ebay to put the key fob in, as the first thing the alarm does is look for it on disturbance. They are only a couple of £s on EBay.
This sort of thing - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mobile-Phone ... J12BTOVmhw
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

Have a look at automatrics Mtrack https://www.trackersecurity.co.uk/phone/index.html
HoboBeemer

Post by HoboBeemer »

one-two-three-four wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:49 am Ps if travelling with a Monimoto (ie camping or sleeping close to it) you will need a small RFID secure pouch off Ebay to put the key fob in, as the first thing the alarm does is look for it on disturbance. They are only a couple of £s on EBay.
This sort of thing - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mobile-Phone ... J12BTOVmhw
Yeah over the last few days I have been flirting with pulling the trigger and that situation has come up in a Q and A ref the RFID pouch.
HoboBeemer

Post by HoboBeemer »

Having done a bit more looking at reviews etc I have just ordered the Monimoto, looking at a few of the indepth reviews the actual size is not as big as some have made out and looks actually really resonable for such a device.

Thanks for all input..
one-two-three-four

To aid mounting it, I put mine inside some push bike inner tube, it's a tight fit, but allows more zip ties to "grip" it (in addition to the mounting holes) and it's even more discrete looking.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”