Paddock Stands

The essential art of farkling.
Nick_2112

Paddock Stands

Post by Nick_2112 »

Hi, Ride magazine recently had a group test on paddock stands, can anyone tell me what issue it is in please?

Also, this stand looks to be petty good and sells well, anyone got one, oppinions good or bad?, cheers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MPW-Race-Dep ... 1900621982
daveuprite

Re: Paddock Stands

Post by daveuprite »

Hi Nick. I've owned more paddock stands than Fanny Craddock cooked hot dinners. Still got about 15 of them hanging from the rafters in my workshop.

The best paddock stands in the world, without question, are made by Harris. My front/rear pair are still the best I own after 20 years. But they are very expensive.

But among my collection is a rear stand like this, much cheaper, which I use a lot and would also recommend:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REAR-Paddock ... SwNe9cCUeE
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

Nick_2112 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:29 pm Hi, Ride magazine recently had a group test on paddock stands, can anyone tell me what issue it is in please?

Also, this stand looks to be petty good and sells well, anyone got one, oppinions good or bad?, cheers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MPW-Race-Dep ... 1900621982
Hi nick I've used similar to these with the Bobbins and they work a treat they are perhaps a little wobbly and a little bit of a pain to use as you have to position the hooks and hold the bike up at the same time whilst pressing down on the stand and the same letting the bike off the stand as movement can be an issue.i will say once up I've never had a problem but getting it on the hooks has been a pain on a few occasions due to 1 side catching inside its self and the other moving freely so when you lift 1 side is on the bobbin and 1 side is 90 degrees the other way.this is just my personal experience and not the same as what others have experienced just my 2 pennies worth
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

🇩🇪 🇧🇪 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇮🇲 🇱🇺
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

If you go for one of the cheapy tubular rear stands, look for one with some bracing, not the ones which are basically just a large piece of bent tubing -they're the wobbly ones.

More like this:

And less like this:

Peirre

Post by Peirre »

The micron ones sold years ago where probably the worst, they came in 3 pieces, no bracing and where wobbly as hell. At one point I somehow ended up with several as a mate worked in the factory that made and powder coated them, I’ve probably still got 1 left + the front adapter.
Nick_2112

Post by Nick_2112 »

Thanks guys, the Oxford one that won the 'Ride magazine' best buy is £69.99, I might bite the bullet for the Harris stand, cheers.

daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Nick_2112 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:12 pm I might bite the bullet for the Harris stand, cheers.
If you take a quick look at my thread on building a homemade comedy Bike Bench - you'll see my Harris rear stand in the pics. That's now ~19 years old and it has supported countless race bikes at meetings, track-days and in the workshop. The quality is just totally different to the cheap stuff.

Maybe buy a second-hand one. They come up on ebay, but again not cheap because people know how good they are.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Abba stand

Support the bike at the centre.

Kits available to enable front and rear suspension removal.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”