my new sat nav

The essential art of farkling.
garyboy

my new sat nav

Post by garyboy »

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9115202 .. for `car only`.. [the argos bike one is nearly double that price and 4.3" screen as opposed to this 5.5" screen.]

cost £179 over 6 months .. must be good coz (like all the best sat navs) it led me down a dead end when I first tried it in the car this evening .. (I hate reversing in the car, especially at night) :lol: ..
.. (actually it was my own fault as I had missed a turning)

its voice activated :D and seems to work ok at that , apart from the accent :lol: .. pronounces the welsh `lys` as `lice` :lol:
instead of `lees`, and really struggles with welsh place names. :roll:

should be ok to go to france with, but the screen is a bit small [even at 5.5 inches] .. it will need wrapping in plastic [or case] if on the bike though :? .. and a fixing method for both car (falls off screen) and bike :roll: … duct tape seems a good idea :lol:

it has got an `off road` mode but apparently this will entail straight lines to certain points .. i presume those points or on the known road ?????
Tramp

Re: my new sat nav

Post by Tramp »

You where robbed :lol: :P ...
its a renamed nuvi57lm....you can get custom ram mount holders fir them...

You can also seal the screen...look on advrider.com...but the back usb power lead
Does come loose over time...

You have a unhealthy facination with buy now pay later...

https://www.ram-mount.co.uk/holder-for- ... c-281.html

As for falling off car screen clean glass with vinegar then fuffen with sandpaper the sucker surface...
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Tramp wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:57 am You where robbed :lol: :P ...
its a renamed nuvi57lm....you can get custom ram mount holders fir them...

You can also seal the screen...look on advrider.com...but the back usb power lead
Does come loose over time...

You have a unhealthy facination with buy now pay later...

https://www.ram-mount.co.uk/holder-for- ... c-281.html

As for falling off car screen clean glass with vinegar then fuffen with sandpaper the sucker surface...
thanks for the info …. checked and indeed it does look the same or similar .. .. .. tho mine has full Europe maps and voice command and control 8-) ... and works out at £7 per month .. so not so bad, especially when u got no dosh to start with :D

thankd for the motorbike link for the mount/holder 8-) .. and i will try the scratching and vinegar on my hand first :lol:
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Have a look at these
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3191537469
Ive used in me.on my bike for years. You can farkle the mount to use the ram ball mount which make it more stable.
I did find that the plastic cover didn't always allow for use of the touch screen so you have to remove the unit or flip the cover up.
Never had any sign of water ingress,
I also found a bit of old foam just to pack out the internal space so the unit more snuggly

Enjoy your adventures
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

zimtim wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:58 am Have a look at these
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3191537469
Ive used in me.on my bike for years. You can farkle the mount to use the ram ball mount which make it more stable.
I did find that the plastic cover didn't always allow for use of the touch screen so you have to remove the unit or flip the cover up.
Never had any sign of water ingress,
I also found a bit of old foam just to pack out the internal space so the unit more snuggly

Enjoy your adventures
Thankyou for that Tim .. very much appreciated :)
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

GARY...

Ive one of these as new ...for sale if interested..

https://buybits.com/ram-hol-ga55-ram-ho ... 17147.html

https://www.ram-mount.co.uk/holder-for- ... 1_664.html

The ram ga 55 fits lots of models...i used it with 2 ball mounts and short arm on my xt660z...

You need a rear ball mount a short or med arm and a u bolt ball mount for bars...and a 12v cigarette lead ..std car lead is fine..
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Tramp wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:24 pm GARY...

Ive one of these as new ...for sale if interested..

https://buybits.com/ram-hol-ga55-ram-ho ... 17147.html

https://www.ram-mount.co.uk/holder-for- ... 1_664.html

The ram ga 55 fits lots of models...i used it with 2 ball mounts and short arm on my xt660z...

You need a rear ball mount a short or med arm and a u bolt ball mount for bars...and a 12v cigarette lead ..std car lead is fine..
thanks for the offer, Tramp .. but I have ordered one off amazon and a smaller cheaper one off ebay .. both are `waterproof` bags, and both very cheap, but got my eye on similar bag costing £37, but a new tyre is a priority atm :)

but thankyou for the thought 8-) 8-)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

my first impressions of the garmin smartdrive 55mt S (or is it a D?) were that it was a small, cheap rip off with simplistic basic controls .. and the voice control could not recognise welsh town names and not even know where I live, as my (correct area) postcode did not show on the map?
Also, it would not follow the main road to my nearest town, but kept trying to take me the long way round .. I felt a right Charlie :lol:

I fiddled with the setting a bit, and things improved a bit, and it seemed to be able to follow main roads again .. even tho the settings seemed to have a mind of their own.

There was no apparent instructions .. but then I found the users' guide :roll: .. by following the link from the sat nav registration confirmation.

I could then see that the item was far more complex that i had thought .. even tho it still could not recognise welsh town names, by voice command :roll:

I managed to find out how to download recent updates to the maps, and things seemed to improve further. :)

What I was really surprised and delighted with was that my pc could download Basecamp 8-) as a standard thing.
and also that the sat nav automatically logged my road routes, as selected in the settings, but even without that selection.

Much to learn, but not had so much opportunity, as not used the car much and the bike needs a new tyre .. but hopeful now :D 8-)
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

:o basecamp will drive you mad trying to plan a custom road route... Only use it in car mode with a nuvi ar sat nav as it ain't designed for a bike..

I've a windows 10 pc and use old mapsource for plotting routes then save as gpx not gpd?.

This can be opened in basecamp if required and also in the nuvi or drive as garmin now call it...

Open via app on sat nav and press go, check route on the screen as they do like to alter the route.. Also have auto route correct off so if you miss a turn follow line or it will recalculate the whole route..

As for Welsh language you can look in pref erences and change the language type... As your in another country.... Lol... Also it will display turns and road names better..
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Tramp wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:10 am :o basecamp will drive you mad trying to plan a custom road route... Only use it in car mode with a nuvi ar sat nav as it ain't designed for a bike..

I've a windows 10 pc and use old mapsource for plotting routes then save as gpx not gpd?.

This can be opened in basecamp if required and also in the nuvi or drive as garmin now call it...

Open via app on sat nav and press go, check route on the screen as they do like to alter the route.. Also have auto route correct off so if you miss a turn follow line or it will recalculate the whole route..

As for Welsh language you can look in pref erences and change the language type... As your in another country.... Lol... Also it will display turns and road names better..
dont really understand all that :D .. what is a gpd file .. I know about the gpx file ……. I got no idea how to put routes into the sat nav :lol:

Welsh??? ... its not the welsh language that is the problem,.. its the pronunciation of the welsh town names :lol: 8-)

thanks for your input 8-)

ps ..I hate that it recalculates the route if u go wrong !!!! ... you may want to keep to the original for many reasons !!

Return to “ACCESSORIES”