TPMS

The essential art of farkling.
Saint rob

TPMS

Post by Saint rob »

Has anybody got any experience with aftermarket TPMS - any recommendations?
I'm not interested in the kind that have the transponders in the valve cap, but this one appears to have internal sensors;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-T ... 4003000697
I don't know whether it's necessary to remove the tyre/ half remove the tyre to fit the sensors or whether you can remove the original valve and wiggle this one into place though.
Current bikes: XT1200ZE, MT01, XV750se, TRS 300RR, Scorpa factory 300- still mine despite some thieving scum bag bastard currently having possession of it
OnHellas

Re: TPMS

Post by OnHellas »

I’ve never tried them as I think they might be a let down........I’ll get my coat.
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Vauxhall ones are shit alwways failing or giving false readings.... Trust in a tyre gauge you carry in your pocket..
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Got them on my Tiger, gave false warnings and got replaced under warranty, though been OK for over a year now.

interestingly most seem to be sealed units in the wheel, so need to be replaced or "hacked" once the batteries run out.

Can't say i would buy them, your backside can spot low tyre pressure before it gets dangerous.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

My current car has them fitted as standard but I would not have ordered them as optional extras even though the system has improved reliability over the earlier versions.

I still check the pressures using a gauge, it means that I physically have to look at the tyres which is the safety aspect for me.

Just like much of the new technology it is only an aid and the rider/driver is still the one in control.

TTFN

Dinosaur :lol:
Saint rob

Post by Saint rob »

Thanks for the replies folks I suppose I should have stated that I will not be relying on the technology, as Hugh and others have said there is no substitute for checking the things yourself.
I've just been struck by how reliable TPMS has been on both my wife and my daughter's Nissans as opposed to what it used to be like and thought it might be useful on my bikes. Obviously some products are going to be better than others and I was hopeful that someone might have some personal experience/recommendations that they can relate.
Current bikes: XT1200ZE, MT01, XV750se, TRS 300RR, Scorpa factory 300- still mine despite some thieving scum bag bastard currently having possession of it
Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

Hugh wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:38 am
I still check the pressures using a gauge, it means that I physically have to look at the tyres which is the safety aspect for me.

This is actually a really good point - I know people who never have to check their pressures on their cars & only find out the tires are bald at a service/MOT...

D
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

I have one with the sensors in the valve cap which surprisingly doesn't put the wheel out of balance or anything like that. It has worked without trouble or problems for about 18 months now.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”