Beware lomo shit panniers...

The essential art of farkling.
Tramp

Beware lomo shit panniers...

Post by Tramp »

Right had my new lomo soft panniers for a few months and they looked great and just big enough compared to my ortliebs which have been to hell and back and down the trails too..

First outing and with just 15kg total weight in both panniers and when inspecting the stitching its pulling apart not to mention the buckle that came off... Easy zip tye fix but first outing....

After my trip i will add more pics then cantact lomo to see what they say...
IMG_20190422_160718.jpg
IMG_20190422_160718.jpg (56.86 KiB) Viewed 15042 times
IMG_20190422_160718.jpg
IMG_20190422_160718.jpg (56.86 KiB) Viewed 15042 times
IMG_20190422_160652.jpg
IMG_20190422_160652.jpg (123.26 KiB) Viewed 15042 times
IMG_20190422_160738.jpg
IMG_20190422_160738.jpg (37.91 KiB) Viewed 15042 times
zimtim

Re: Beware lomo shit panniers...

Post by zimtim »

Well in a previous thread I did question their quality for the price of £50 and got some abuse.

I did hope I had been proved wrong, as it seems others have no issues with their bags.
From your pics it won't take much to for the pannier stitching to tear and fall apart.

Also your.photo of your bike loaded up, I would use a strap around the pannier bags and on to top of frame/bike to take the some of the weight. Overall I wouldn't be happy of going on a trip with that set up, still too late as you're off tomorrow.

If you have a fall you can at least blame the pannier s😋😋
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

You cant see the bottom support mounts lol... Anyway its only 7.5kg per pannier not your big black ktm battle bus loaded up like a pack horse...... And it has 3 velcro thick straps......

Interesting to see if others have had samenproblem as mine are one of the first batch made in china for lomo... They could have used welding and stitching..
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

When I contacted Lomo about a problem with stitching coming undone within a few weeks use they told me to get a needle and some nylon thread :o I hope you have better luck!
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

You can see where the weight is stressing the stitching, irrespective of whether you have unseen bottom support mounts. Using a strap to lift and pull in the top of your bags would alleviate that stress.
But as you seem to know best and don't want the advice of a mate then carry on and enjoy your trip.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

It would be good to see a "bigger picture" to see the angle of the straps relative to the pannier. To be honest they need to be nearly vertical and if you have them high and the straps at 45 degrees or more then all the load is trying to pull the stitching apart. If thats the way they load then my advice is to use a few pop rivets and penny washers and rivet the whole lot together--even put a strip of aluminium along the top to stiffen the inner surface and pop rivet through to the inside--that way the straps can't come off--I've done that before. I to have Ortleibs and they are very good but the straps are short and they don't stretch across a fat tourer very well--fine on a narrow trail bike. In the past I have made up extension straps and folded the ortleib straps over to form a loop(and used pop rivets to secure the loops--always removable)--and used an extension strap between the loops--there is always a way--and luggage simply can't be thrown on without having a good look at the mountings. The advantage of the Lomo bags is that they are certainly bigger and have much better and longer velcro straps than the Ortleibs. I think they are better suited to road/light trail use--with the Ortleibs much better offroad(once the straps have been lengthened). You will note that the Ortleibs have that rigid foam back which is bolted on (nylon bolts) and I guess you get what you pay for. However, have a look at the strap angles and use pop rivets!
By the way--I have the Lomo panniers and they are fine--also the crash bar pannier bags--no complaints here--and please note that bad press really does affect the business so please be mindful before you launch comments like that--from what I've seen they have good reviews--and I know someone on here that rode with them on the European TET etc and they stood up well.
Last edited by catcitrus on Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RandG

Post by RandG »

Come on eh, these pictures are crap and show no relevance to what the issue seems to be, also, to the other poster who said that the company told him to take a needle and thread, sorry mate, not believing that whatsoever. btw, I have no connection at all to Lomo other than I have a couple of their 40l bags and are outstanding value.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Cheers for feedback im in france and done 250k today and they didnt fall off or get worse... Agree they are a great size may just need some keith robinson tinkering...

Its pissing down and 21c humid as hell in the loire...
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

RandG wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:50 pm Come on eh, these pictures are crap and show no relevance to what the issue seems to be, also, to the other poster who said that the company told him to take a needle and thread, sorry mate, not believing that whatsoever. btw, I have no connection at all to Lomo other than I have a couple of their 40l bags and are outstanding value.

Think the poster was refering to his gloves and yes lomo dry bags are good its the sewing of the straps thats shall we say not built for job... They are after all throw over panniers...
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

I haven't bought the panniers.....I've still got luggage coming out of my ears but I did buy a wet suit a couple of weeks back. It started separating the first time I used it at various joins.....no I'm not a fat whale :roll:

I contacted them & they gave me a free return which they received Thurs, I was thinking about phoning them to see what they said to find it sitting waiting for me when I got home this evening. They've sealed all the joins properly (which was all that was needed) but they must have done that the second they got it to get it back in that timeframe.

Cut a long story short, their customer service is far from sh*t
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything

Return to “ACCESSORIES”