Tube Tools?

The essential art of farkling.
grmtylr

Tube Tools?

Post by grmtylr »

I've just bought an Africa Twin and it's the first time I've had a bike with tubes rather than tubeless tyres.

Previously I've carried tyre plugs and gas cannisters to repair punctures and thankfully never needed them.

What should I look at carrying to repair punctures on the Africa Twin tyres? Obviously a spare tube is a good start but what else in teh way of tyre levers etc?
boboneleg

Re: Tube Tools?

Post by boboneleg »

Get the best tyre levers you can, Buzzetti are the best in my experience
one-legged adventurer
OB1

Post by OB1 »

boboneleg wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:35 pm Get the best tyre levers you can, Buzzetti are the best in my experience

And the Motion Pro bead breaker tool:

https://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/worksh ... y0QAvD_BwE
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

I use three tyre levers and a 'bead buddy' it makes changes a lot easier, ive just bought a high volume hand pump as it fits under the seat and is just as good as those plug in electric ones and takes up far less room! a 21" spare tube as will be able to use it for both wheels. And a nifty trick i learnt was to use the side stand as a bead breaker (only works if you have a centre stand! bike on centre stand, wheel off and slid under side stand, rock bike towards you and voila! pop goes the bead) and a couple of spanners for the wheel nuts and chain adjustment and that's about it really. Anything else is way beyond my mechanical ability so it would be AA/RAC for anything else lol..... :D
OB1

Post by OB1 »

dibbs wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:40 pm I've just bought a high volume hand pump as it fits under the seat

Do you have a link to this or a brand and model? :?: TIA
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Yeh common dibbs dont hog the i fo :D
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

hahahahahahahahaha... ok ok here you go from Halfords:

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-m ... -hand-pump
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Mucho thanks Dibbs...so is it as good as they say see they do a higher psi one....i tend to brake electric ones flying about on salisbury plain :lol:
chrisjk

Post by chrisjk »

BTW, do practice changing the things at home first! Also, patching tubes can be a nightmare because the patches fail so often and some damage can't be patched, better carry a spare front wheel inner as well as patches.

Hand pumps are fine if you are Popeye. Get an electric pump.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Tramp wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:06 pm Mucho thanks Dibbs...so is it as good as they say see they do a higher psi one....i tend to brake electric ones flying about on salisbury plain :lol:
I think the higher psi one has lower volume Russ! the bloke in the shop reckons that one is the best for a motorcycle inner tube. Agreed it will take quite alot of pumping still, but as long as there is enough air to get you to a garage thats ok, and i also carry a couple of the air canisters. I haven't tried it out yet (hope i never have to really lol...)

Return to “ACCESSORIES”