Michelin T63 (rear) alternative?

The essential art of farkling.
JediMaster
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:14 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Michelin T63 (rear) alternative?

Post by JediMaster » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:09 pm

I've just tried to order my favourite single-cylinder bike rear tyre only to discover that it has been discontinued by Michelin and replaced by the 'Anakee Wild'. Is that really a worthy successor?

I should've seen the writing on the wall last year when it took me a while to find one.

Adventure Bike Rider New Issue Out Now
Tramp
Posts: 7327
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:04 am
Has thanked: 252 times
Been thanked: 425 times

Re: Michelin T63 (rear) alternative?

Post by Tramp » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:16 pm

Mitas e09...

JediMaster
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:14 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Michelin T63 (rear) alternative?

Post by JediMaster » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:52 pm

Tramp wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:16 pm
Mitas e09...
I had a pair of them delivered to Irkutsk. The front was fine but the rear (140) was ENORMOUS! No way was it going to fit on the rim, nevermind in the swingarm! Ended up fitting a MX tyre.

I'd like to see a 130 or even a 120 in the flesh.

User avatar
boboneleg
Posts: 4650
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:52 pm
Has thanked: 1035 times
Been thanked: 655 times

Re: Michelin T63 (rear) alternative?

Post by boboneleg » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:17 pm

I too morn the demise of the T63 but the Mitas E-09 is a good copy

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/motorbike- ... 65r-744354
one-legged adventurer

JediMaster
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:14 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Michelin T63 (rear) alternative?

Post by JediMaster » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:26 am

boboneleg wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:17 pm
I too morn the demise of the T63 but the Mitas E-09 is a good copy

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/motorbike- ... 65r-744354
What size have you fitted to what bike?

I ask because as mentioned above, I had a 140 delivered and it was HUGE. Way too big for a DRZ. Ideally I'd like to see the 120 & 130 in the flesh before choosing one.

Nico-D
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:52 am
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 212 times

Re: Michelin T63 (rear) alternative?

Post by Nico-D » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:45 am

JediMaster wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:26 am
boboneleg wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:17 pm
I too morn the demise of the T63 but the Mitas E-09 is a good copy

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/motorbike- ... 65r-744354
What size have you fitted to what bike?

I ask because as mentioned above, I had a 140 delivered and it was HUGE. Way too big for a DRZ. Ideally I'd like to see the 120 & 130 in the flesh before choosing one.
The 130/80 will fit fine on a DRZ, there isn't a 120 E09 in 18" , another alternative is the Mitas MC23 rockrider which is a 120/90, not great in mud but fine for drier harder conditions.

frenchy3
Posts: 539
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:32 am
Has thanked: 296 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Michelin T63 (rear) alternative?

Post by frenchy3 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:55 am

I had Michelin T63,s on my Harley Davidson MT350 for ten years(mainly because thats what they came with and i got free ones when our MT section got rid of all the spares and tyres!) I really liked them as they were confidence inspiring on the road in both wet and dry conditions and also although i am a rubbish rider i never felt the tyres let me down in any off road situation. I looked for some T63,s for my SWM RS650R but i could only find 130/80 x18 which would have been fine on the rear although 140/80 x18 is standard fit. However there were no 90/90 x21 left at all.

minkyhead
Posts: 4025
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:31 pm
Has thanked: 335 times
Been thanked: 524 times

Re: Michelin T63 (rear) alternative?

Post by minkyhead » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:17 pm

ive used a t63 came on me ccm ...the mitas e09 is a better tyre in every way ...its only real weakness is sidegrip on cambers and the more extream muddy stuff but as a all rounder its not abad tyre at all ..it will wear alot better than a 63 too ..i shot mine in 1500 miles on the ccm and it has no where near the forward drive of the e09 in slippy stuff ..the e09 isnt great mud tyre but its markedly better than the 63 no doubt about that in my mind

the 140 e09s are a monserouse thing super stiff and very difficult to fit and remove tubes ect ... they have a fearsome reputation for not breaking bead 130s markedly more managable and doable in the feild in this regard .ive converted my rear wheels to tubless with e09s on keep the pressurs high around 15psi and no bother in the last year doing this ....
there is a case of getting more bite from smaller section tyres ..think soft grass ...wellies / stilletos ...
i have spare wheels for all me bikes and shod the rear on the crfs with 110/100s enduro tyres ..the 110s are wider than the 130 e09s ??
for instance a 120 maxxis would be huge compared to a 130/e09 i think you will loose nothing on a smaller bike by using a 130 instead of a 140 and gain a lot in terms of cost and practicality ..i wouldnt fit a 140 e09 as its a bitch in every way compared to a130?? hope that helps
in dot tyres you can do a lot worse than m21s they are pretty solid all rounders too as a alternative

you can see the smallest tyre is the 130 section and swopping these out can alter the gearing too ...weird stuff

ImageDSC_1096 by minkyhead56, on Flickr
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map

User avatar
bowber
Posts: 2137
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:48 pm
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 130 times

Re: Michelin T63 (rear) alternative?

Post by bowber » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:42 pm

Nico-D wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:45 am
The 130/80 will fit fine on a DRZ, there isn't a 120 E09 in 18" , another alternative is the Mitas MC23 rockrider which is a 120/90, not great in mud but fine for drier harder conditions.
I've found the Rockrider rear (140/18) to be a good all round tyre apart from in that slippy clay type mud, the stuff that sticks to everything and is still quite solid. Bogs, sloppy mud, rock and road they are good on, in fact on the road they work at least as well as the MT21 I have on the front.
So far I've done around 1800 miles and I recon it should get well over 2000, not as high mileage as the E09 but I think it has better side grip off road.

For your DRZ you can't go far wrong with Maxxicross IT's, the back doesn't do a high mileage though, just over 1000 miles on my 400 EXC, but they are great on road and I've not found anything they can't handle off road at trail riding speeds.

Steve

JediMaster
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:14 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Michelin T63 (rear) alternative?

Post by JediMaster » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:14 pm

minkyhead wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:17 pm
ive used a t63 came on me ccm ...the mitas e09 is a better tyre in every way ...its only real weakness is sidegrip on cambers and the more extream muddy stuff but as a all rounder its not abad tyre at all ..it will wear alot better than a 63 too ..i shot mine in 1500 miles on the ccm and it has no where near the forward drive of the e09 in slippy stuff ..the e09 isnt great mud tyre but its markedly better than the 63 no doubt about that in my mind

the 140 e09s are a monserouse thing super stiff and very difficult to fit and remove tubes ect ... they have a fearsome reputation for not breaking bead 130s markedly more managable and doable in the feild in this regard .ive converted my rear wheels to tubless with e09s on keep the pressurs high around 15psi and no bother in the last year doing this ....
there is a case of getting more bite from smaller section tyres ..think soft grass ...wellies / stilletos ...
i have spare wheels for all me bikes and shod the rear on the crfs with 110/100s enduro tyres ..the 110s are wider than the 130 e09s ??
for instance a 120 maxxis would be huge compared to a 130/e09 i think you will loose nothing on a smaller bike by using a 130 instead of a 140 and gain a lot in terms of cost and practicality ..i wouldnt fit a 140 e09 as its a bitch in every way compared to a130?? hope that helps
in dot tyres you can do a lot worse than m21s they are pretty solid all rounders too as a alternative

you can see the smallest tyre is the 130 section and swopping these out can alter the gearing too ...weird stuff

ImageDSC_1096 by minkyhead56, on Flickr
Thanks for all this info. Much appreciated. Your comments regarding the 140 E-09 were exactly what I experienced.

Having ordered MT21's for the front of my DRZ & 990 I plumbed for a MT21 rear for the DRZ this time (before I read the above). I used a few of them in South America and whilst they didn't last as well as the T63 they did ride nicely.

I'll try a 130 E-09 next time.

Post Reply

Return to “ACCESSORIES”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests