Do-it-all (adv) tyres

The essential art of farkling.
herman

Re: Do-it-all (adv) tyres

Post by herman »

Well I have ridden on them in the dust and was impressed but that may have been my god like skills of course :lol: I have a bike on its way with them fitted so will report . BTW karoo 3s no, on so many levels.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Heff

Post by Heff »

Timely post. ;)

Currently running on Michelin Pilot 5 Trails on the 1200Gsa BatBike. Had some off road days through the Pyrenees last year and struggled in places.

The Michelins will be replaced with something more suitable for the next trip into the Pico's as there will be a number of off road days. :?:

Will be watching with interest 8-)
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black
tempesc

Do-it-all (adv) tyres

Post by tempesc »

Firstly thanks for the share Chris.

Does anyone else use trials tyres?

I ride the MCC events which require a trials tyre so my dirt bike stays shod in Pirelli MT43s permanently. This tyre feels fine on the road, even at low psi (i tend to run 12psi in the front and 10psi in the back) and i am happy trail riding it too.

I get the same mileage on the MT43, give or take, as i do on the conti TKC80s on my XT660z.

Not sure whether the MT43 is a good option, or i just don’t know any better!!
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

~ACP~ wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:50 pm That Mefo Super Explorer 2 looks very interesting. 'Cept I can't find any details of it on the net! Google draws a blank.

The 'old' SE was well regarded but I didn't find it blocky enough. The tread pattern on the SE2 seems to be more aggressive.Image
The rear looks like a Michelin Anakee wild.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

Speedofile wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:39 am I had the Michelin Anakee's on my last 1200GS and must admit that I would highly recommend these to anyone doing "A bit of both" riding. Going on the green lanes they were very good and on the road I would keep up with all my mates on their sports bikes in the corners.

Great tyres in my humble opinion!
I was thinking of putting these on my SWM RS650R as i have worn out Anlas Capra extreme full enduro tyres on at the moment and they are no fun on the road! I don,t do anywhere near as many miles off road now so i am looking for a good compromise tyre that is great on the road and ok for my level of gentle green laning.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Mitas e07plus on rear and mitas xt644 front
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

Tramp wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:44 am Mitas e07plus on rear and mitas xt644 front
I was wondering how road biased a tyre i would dare to go. Most people including myself are not honest about the type of riding they will do in reality,i think most of mine is on the road and gravel tracks including gentle sandy norfolk/suffolk trails. I had a worn out bridgestone trail wing on the front of my Suzuki DRZ400s and a brand new Bridgestone trailwing on the rear. I changed the front for a Pirelli MT21 as i had no confidence in the front tyre. I was impressed with that combination. Even though the trailwing gets terrible reviews on the rear it was great for the road and easily as good as me off road(not difficult :oops: :oops: :oops: )
I think for any kind of gentle green laning it is the front tyre that is more critical for a choice. I loved my Michelin T63,s on my MT350 as they had a good wear rate and they performed like a sports bike on the twisty Spanish mountain roads,i had confidence in the wet on the road too. The T63 was not overly noisy on the road either.They performed well off road with higher than normal pressures to avoid snakebite punctures(around 25psi front and 20 psi rear) If i could get them easily as they have now been discontinued i would have an easy choice. This is why i decided to look at the Michelin Anakee wild as it is their new version of the T63. I would avoid the Anakee front as every reviewer has noted the excessive road noise. I will look at the tyres you have mentioned as i have used the xt 644 front before but never gone as road biased on the rear tyre so it might be a good combination especially on price.
Agg(Skinny)

Post by Agg(Skinny) »

Hi all, advice please. Me and a couple of others are joining Wibo on his Morocco trip this year, I have been morocco twice before but vanned down through Spain. This time riding all the way, have previously used twinduro's .I'm on a gs650 dakar and would like you input to what tyre you would recomend. I don't want to arrive in Morocco with a bald back tyre after a 1000 mile road ride. Many thanks in advance. I shall ask BobH as he has done it twice before.
Slowboy

Post by Slowboy »

Heidenau K60s for me. My riding is a mixture of mostly road and some hard pack gravel and forest type tracks on a CRF 250 Rally. Got about 8000 miles out of the rear and the fronts still going strong at 10,000 miles. For me they've got good on road grip, wet or dry, work well on the type tracks I described and are rubbish in mud as am I. Easy to fit and balance yourself as well.
Small bike traveller

CRF250 Rally
C90
C125 Super Cub
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Agg(Skinny) wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:03 am Hi all, advice please. Me and a couple of others are joining Wibo on his Morocco trip this year, I have been morocco twice before but vanned down through Spain. This time riding all the way, have previously used twinduro's .I'm on a gs650 dakar and would like you input to what tyre you would recomend. I don't want to arrive in Morocco with a bald back tyre after a 1000 mile road ride. Many thanks in advance. I shall ask BobH as he has done it twice before.
A lot depends HOW you ride down through Spain...take it steady and Pirelli MT21s should still be in relatively good shape. But hard riding on tarmac will destroy them in short order.

When I did Maroc may years ago, the MT21s rode down on the van and got put on the bike once we'd crossed the Atlas.

The Avon Gripsters I put on for the road part of the trip were great on tarmac and quite OK on gravel...they'd break away very gently quite early so you could drift round the corners. The only issue was getting the front to seat accurately. The modern equivalent is the Avon TrailRider.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”