Six volt to twelve.

The essential art of farkling.
Boo Cock

Six volt to twelve.

Post by Boo Cock »

I have a Norton ES2 for some of my serious trips. It runs on six volts. I do not want to go to all the aggro of converting it to twelve volts, but I need to use a sat nav on the odd occasion.
I was told recently that there was a transformer available for running such things. I was told it does work, but you will need to switch it off when not in use as it will flatten the battery. This is not a problem as I only need it when stuck, lost. needing a campsite etc etc.
Has anyone experience of one of these and where can I get one. Any info would be a great help.

Thanks
Boo.
herman

Re: Six volt to twelve.

Post by herman »

Why bother? A Montana will run for one and a half days on its battery then add AA batteries for continued use. Plus if you get one of those clever jump packs it will charge the sat nav ( and your smart phone which will do the sat nav thing too) whilst in your tank bag/ pannier. If you don't have a smart phone then get an android one with a good gps receiver without a sim that will last another week.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

I loved my ES2 and travelled just about all of the lanes in the Peak District on mine.

Anyway the point is that it is really easy to convert the 6V electrics to 12V, take a look at this excellent article;

https://www.nortonownersclub.org/suppor ... conversion

I fitted the Zenor diode so that the bike did not require a battery, same as my Mk III Commando Interstate which I still have and which fitted with a sump guard also was used to ride the same lanes back in the late 70s.

TTFN

Hugh.
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

When I'm out on my mountain bike and I get a bit lost I use my phone. It's not as fast or convenient as a plugged in sat nav but if it's only the odd occasion it's a good compromise.
Boo Cock

Post by Boo Cock »

Reality check here folks. Like I said, I ride a seventy year old bike around Europe. Surely that will tell you what a technophobe I am. No I phone, No fancy hi-tech gizmo's. Just an ordinary Garmin Zumo. I don't want to buy another one just for the Norton when I already have one that works well enough. I don't want to go for 12 volt as the bike is all original and it is not a good idea for the dynamo to run flat out permanently and I can use it on more than one bike.

There is, somewhere out there a device to convert 6 to 12 volts (a transformer) which would do the job perfectly, also I can then use it on the old one as well. Anyone come across such a thing?
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

What you need mate is a d to d converter:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DIGITEN-Conver ... 019GY2FLW

There you go.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Hello again,

I found another couple of sites for you to look at;

https://matchlessclueless.com/electrica ... onversion/

http://www.dynamoregulators.com/voltage-regulators.php

TTFN

Hugh.
Magnon

Post by Magnon »

12v conversion is straightforward and 12v bulbs are much more robust than 6v (which fail often due to vibration). You don’t need to change the dynamo, just the regulator, battery and bulbs so it’s all easily reversible. BUT a lot of these cheap cigarette lighter socket type usb chargers are very tolerant to low voltage - they supply 5v to the gps (which is less than 6v) so I would suggest you buy one and see if it’ll charge your gps when running on 6-7volts. Worth a try for £2!
Boo Cock

Post by Boo Cock »

It may well be OK to convert to 12V but, this means I will have to do it to three of my bikes. Will a satnav run on six volts I wonder? It would be nice to just get a converter and use it on all the bikes, especially as not all three can be converted to twelve volts.
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

Boo Cock wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:46 pm It may well be OK to convert to 12V but, this means I will have to do it to three of my bikes. Will a satnav run on six volts I wonder? It would be nice to just get a converter and use it on all the bikes, especially as not all three can be converted to twelve volts.
What you need mate is a d to d converter:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DIGITEN-Conver ... 019GY2FLW

There you go. converts 6 to 12v

Return to “ACCESSORIES”