Formatted Zumo 550 by mistake

The essential art of farkling.
FlyingBrick

Formatted Zumo 550 by mistake

Post by FlyingBrick »

:oops: Updated my SDHC card with the latest map updates and whilst chatting to a customer on the phone I manged to re format my Zumo 550.
Now of course it will not be seen plugging into a USB port with map updates and just comes up with the Zumo Logo and then loading maps if I put in the updated SD card. Nothing else happens now. Had tried to talk to Garmin by their chat line, forum and by phone today but just received the usual purchase a new GPS with our offer of 30% off Garmin RRP. Ho ho.

Has anybody managed to reload a 550 from a SD card from scratch or have loaded the xml necessary file for it to start talking again to my pc via the USB ? Having purchased a new Garmin 61 for the Mrs car I do not want to pay out again when the 550 has been bullet proof over the years of ownership and have made up a special bracket for it on the bike.
Oop North John

Re: Formatted Zumo 550 by mistake

Post by Oop North John »

Hi, what a bugger!

Might get some more help here: https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/commun ... m.php?f=12
FlyingBrick

Post by FlyingBrick »

Managed to get Garmin Quick Repair but when connected to my USB lead it just showed ID ten characters long from my 550 and then said : Software Initialling version 5.00 then : No update available for your product? (did show Zumo 590 package)
Not quite sure where to go from here. Assumption I released the screen bottom right hand corner with my finger on booting up. Need to chat to somebody who has gone through the whole procedure with a Zumo 550 as I am no pc wizard.
Flyfifer

Post by Flyfifer »

I am a member on the Tiger 800 forum.
There are a couple of people on there who understand zumo from the bottom up.
It is classed as sedition (or close to !) to invite a Tiger 800 forum member to join another forum so I can't p.m. them to come here to help ---- but you could join Tiger 800 forum and post your problem.
FlyingBrick

Post by FlyingBrick »

Hi Flyfifer

I have no trouble with any bike on any forum, not biased at all.
Have located a file called GarminCure3 and flashed this onto my 550 with success after a lot of mucking about. Then downloaded a file called RMPrepUSB to format the hard drive correctly as FAT32 not using Microsoft's quick format system.
Managed to get back onto my pc with the USB lead and download the files again and maps from Garmin Express. Phew that was a close one.
Only thing missing so far that I can find is on my map all I can get now is an arrow icon on the map? Cannot set up bike/car icon from the set up menu? They are shown but it does not implement the correct icon any more?
Will have to think about that one. Thanks for the kind offer to send files to get it going again. Will not screw up on that one again and stick to rebuilding gearboxes and engines far safer!
fw750x

Post by fw750x »

Hi Flyingbrick if you go to Garmin Express You can Download the Bikes/Cars Back onto the Zumo ,Hope this Helps Francis
FlyingBrick

Post by FlyingBrick »

Hi Francis

Will go into Garmin Express and locate the missing icon file you have suggested.
That should then put everything back to my Zumo 550 which has proved bullet proof over some 10 years of use. The original battery is still in and lasts around 2 1/2 hours compared to the Mrs old TomTom that goes flat in 20 mins from new ! Replaced twice by John Lewis and still got the same result ? Will look at the new Garmin 396LMT or a cheap 595LM in a year or two. All that money and they don't even throw in the lovely 550 type case into the package!

Return to “ACCESSORIES”