Share your luggage knowledge pls.

The essential art of farkling.
herman

Re: Share your luggage knowledge pls.

Post by herman »

If the clearance between pipe and box is worrying in a heat transference way then face the box with either heat proof silicon sheet or plumbers mat. Or use it to keep the bacon toasties warm.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

The original BM exhaust is a good bit fatter than the Akro, so if you had a clearance problem with the Akro fitted, you'll not get an original can onto the bike with the jesse pannier rails on :(

The rear hole on the Akro without the baffle in is a little bit under 2" wide. About half that with the baffle in. The small M5 bolt that holds the baffle in can easily fall out if not fully tightened. The baffle itself is a very tight fit, so unless someone has done what I've done and reduced the diameter of the contacing bit so that it fits in and comes out easier, you should be fine.

Steve T

8-)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

herman wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:20 pm If the clearance between pipe and box is worrying in a heat transference way then face the box with either heat proof silicon sheet or plumbers mat. Or use it to keep the bacon toasties warm.
Thanks for the tip but heat transference isn’t going to be an issue. (As I’ll explain below).
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

Steve T wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:35 pm The original BM exhaust is a good bit fatter than the Akro, so if you had a clearance problem with the Akro fitted, you'll not get an original can onto the bike with the jesse pannier rails on :(

The rear hole on the Akro without the baffle in is a little bit under 2" wide. About half that with the baffle in. The small M5 bolt that holds the baffle in can easily fall out if not fully tightened. The baffle itself is a very tight fit, so unless someone has done what I've done and reduced the diameter of the contacing bit so that it fits in and comes out easier, you should be fine.

Steve T

8-)
The problem isn’t width, it’s length (as the actress said to the bishop).
The rails touch the pipe above (about where the pop rivets hold the carbon end cap on) and below, (on the end cap itself). I should take some pics and post them on here.
I have slipped a small piece of silicon rubber between the offending parts which should reduce any friction between them but won’t stop damage being caused in the long run.

Now tell me if this is a stupid idea folks.....

I HAD thought about cutting down the can. I’ve done it before, playing hooligan on road bikes, drill out the pop rivets at the inlet end (and back in the day, “accidentally” remove all the wadding), cut off a section of the can, drill new holes and pop rivet it all back together. But frankly that seems a little vandalistic with a lovely can like that.

So, how about if I slipped the can off, and cut a half inch off the pipe from the cat, where the slip on “slips on”?
It would still be a close fit but at least the can and pannier rails wouldn’t actually touch.
Stupid Idea??
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

Steve T wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:35 pm The rear hole on the Akro without the baffle in is a little bit under 2" wide. About half that with the baffle in. The small M5 bolt that holds the baffle in can easily fall out if not fully tightened. The baffle itself is a very tight fit, so unless someone has done what I've done and reduced the diameter of the contacing bit so that it fits in and comes out easier, you should be fine.

Steve T

8-)
Ah, Interesting, thanks Steve. From memory I’d say the outlet is just over an inch.... but my memory is rarely reliable so I’ll have a look. But maybe the baffle IS still in? If I post a pic would you give me your informed opinion? And if it is, and is a tight fit, maybe some advice on how best to remove it?
cozi70

Post by cozi70 »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:38 pm Look out for bargains...I just got a pair of Givi Monokey boxes for £40 off Gumtree...they are red fading to pink though.
Like these,3 givi boxes for less than £100
https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-mot ... 1331209265

Return to “ACCESSORIES”