Bike and accessories budget

The essential art of farkling.
Bertie

Bike and accessories budget

Post by Bertie »

So, 10 years ago the BMW R1100R went and now I am returning back to Bikes.
I have done the research and a 2006 R1200GSA is on the shopping list. I know that i will need to kit myself and pillion out as well as optimising the bike for what I hope to use it for ( We have a house in the French Pyrenees as well as Suffolk).
When buying a bike second hand they can come with no extras to everything and spare tyres!
This is what I am thinking I will need.
Helmets ( I've read loads of reveiws and advice about £100 heads etc so lets not go there)
Jacket and trousers
Boots
Intercom, I have most of a 15 year old Autocom unit ( one helmet stolen along with the mic and speakers)
Luggage
Bike protection and security
Navigation, I use my I phone normally

What else do I need to put in my budget?

I will use the bike for touring and trails in France and Spain
Always going forward 'cos I can't find reverse
herman

Re: Bike and accessories budget

Post by herman »

Breakdown insurance that covers an over 10 yr old bike, not to be a pessimist mind
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I have an ultimate add ons case for my iPhone which is useful if you are using it as a sat nav. If it is a 2006 bike you should be able to get Classic insurance which should be cheaper, mine comes with full European breakdown cover. If you do not know its history you probably want to budget for a full service on the bike before taking it abroad. If I had not ridden for ten years I would seriously consider doing some kind of training course like the Bikesafe ones that the old bill run, especially if I was carrying pillion. Some spares, such as bulbs and tools to carry on the bike. For me heated grips or gloves would be a must if the bike is not fitted with them.
Cheers Jak
Craig-SM

Post by Craig-SM »

Don’t skimp on the clothing, it’s a false economy as you are often end replacing it again and you may as well gone for the expensive kit in the first place. Keep an eye on the classifieds for quality kit for sale.
I’d echo the comments on a refresher course too.

You may want to add gloves to your list too
SurreyKeys

Post by SurreyKeys »

A descent set of panniers with at least one inner bag to keep your cloths dry, if you are going to camp look on you tube for motorcycle camping equipment reviews
Benson-1215

Post by Benson-1215 »

I would budget
£7000.00 for bike Plus a grand for each person plus one for the bike. £10,000 in total.
don't buy cheap helmets :shock:
"I came into this world with nothing and with careful management
I still have most of it left'
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Thanks one and all, I have now blown my budget on a 2014 Tiger Explorer and I am now working my way through the accesory list you helped with, fortunately it came with Luggage :shock:
Always going forward 'cos I can't find reverse
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Hi Bertie. I'm also from Suffolk and with a house in the Dordogne and riding a Triumph Tiger 800 XCx.

By now you've probably already bought most if not all of your kit but if you want to chat about touring or long-distance riding, let me know and we can meet up for a brew.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com

Return to “ACCESSORIES”