Does anyone carry a winch?

The essential art of farkling.
halfpint

Re: Does anyone carry a winch?

Post by halfpint »

is this just a problem that never happens ! do you really need one . spend the money on a lesson on how to ride it out of the ditch or bog ..why not take a mate with you when going out
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

Its very easy, one just gets a couple of staff from ones support vehicle to sort it out, whilst the maid gets one a coffee and one has a massage from ones personal trainer. :lol:
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

halfpint wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:54 pm is this just a problem that never happens ! do you really need one . spend the money on a lesson on how to ride it out of the ditch or bog ..why not take a mate with you when going out
I thought this was all done and dusted then you say this. What your saying is that it as never happened to you? Please feel free to come over and give me a lesson on how to get my fully loaded bike out of a bog or ditch. Some of us ride solo because we like the challenge and because it is a challenge it's best to be prepared. I carry a climbing rope which has worked as a winch, and a stretcher, a washing line, and security for my tent while in hurricane winds, so as it happened? Oh yes.
I, and I guess other's who ride solo in uncharted tracks rely on them selves. It would be nice if a new adv bike came design for adventure rather than having autoblippers and 4 fueling maps because they could n't get the fueling right on one. Not once on my last adventure did I think "you know what I could do with here" ? a heated seat, and electronic suspension. But I did however wish I had a reverse gear.
When your ready for the lesson give me a shout. :D
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

the point being why ride in the ditch in the first place how much luggage are you taking ? I have seen people turn up with all the gear and say the bike is to heavy ..panniers top box the works it a adventure ride !!!! you may need some cord for you tent or a belt to hold your pants up, but simple solution is to plan your line a bit more not ride in the hole first . we all get stuck it happens but a winch !!try this next time your out big deep hole ride round it :o :o
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

captinktm wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:03 am... Attach the other end to convenient tree (there's always one) and nice a slowly push and drive the bike out. ...

All together now,
"I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
"

... but I do carry a bit of rope and some carabiners - when I remember them - and a grab handle thing, when I can remember how to attach the f***ing thing ... :)

Regs

Simon

PS maybe take a book of poetry to keep your spirits up - that one is really rather nice!
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

welsh forrest
Image20180107_115724_LI by gary boy, on Flickr

coedwig Cymreig
Image20170928_130444 by gary boy, on Flickr
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

4 miles of rope should be ok . keep out the bog :oops: :oops:
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

halfpint wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:22 pm the point being why ride in the ditch in the first place how much luggage are you taking ? I have seen people turn up with all the gear and say the bike is to heavy ..panniers top box the works it a adventure ride !!!! you may need some cord for you tent or a belt to hold your pants up, but simple solution is to plan your line a bit more not ride in the hole first . we all get stuck it happens but a winch !!try this next time your out big deep hole ride round it :o :o
Ah bless there speaks someone who as never been off road off map in their life. Had you been on my last trip you would have turned back and missed the best of the journey because where I ride going round and turning back is not an option. When you are 200 km into a mountain range and don't know where the next fuel is turning back is not the answer because of course you know there is no fuel for 200 km's so you have to press on, that means crossing what ever the route throws up. The kit is never the problem because guess what? You can take it off, but you still have a bike to get unstuck or up the other side of a washed out track which is vertical.
Saying you have seen guys turn up with their bikes to heavy imply's you ride in a group and obviously have not ridden solo? I have no idea what you ride but it matters not I have had occasions when a winch of some kind (my climbing rope ) as saved the day even when ride my enduro bike. But I guess we are talking about two completely different rides, mine is a true adventure because I don't know what's coming.
I am not sure what your problem is with fitting a winch at manufacture? As I have said it would be a lot more useful than all the electronic's for a proper adventure. Fitted at the design stage as part of the starter motor system the bike would only be grams heavier. Think how fast you could get your washing line out! :D Ah hotels? I thought so.
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

halfpint wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:14 pm 4 miles of rope should be ok . keep out the bog :oops: :oops:
You have to be a city type, I could secure a rope here (and have done) simply by digging a trench and then laying my 40 meter rope in. Besides where my lesson you offered?
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

halfpint wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:14 pm 4 miles of rope should be ok . keep out the bog :oops: :oops:
Or you could crochet it into a nice big mat to spread over the mire ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain

Return to “ACCESSORIES”