Does anyone carry a winch?

The essential art of farkling.
Morph

Does anyone carry a winch?

Post by Morph »

Whatever next ?
:roll:
The lightest piece of kit is the one you leave behind...
zimtim

Re: Does anyone carry a winch?

Post by zimtim »

Oh winch
I read that as "Does anyone carry a witch"

Just asking for trouble :P :P
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

So you need a big lump of a bike to carry the winch that you need to pull the big lump of a bike when it gets stuck due to being a big lump of a bike with a heavy winch on board :lol: :lol:
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

The winch seems a poor design if all the cord bunches up in one spot it should have an arm to place the cord evenly across the drum as it rotates.That and the battery will have a helluva work out getting up the hill... :lol: :D
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

Most guys said I was mad when I suggested this should be built into the design of adventure bikes, obviously not this big but a normal starter motor would do the job, after all your only wanting a little help.
But a solution I have used for years is using a climbing rope. I always carry one because it's useful for all sorts of things. I use two carabiners one in the front rhs crash bar, and the other in the foot peg. Pass the rope through and into the rear wheel. Between the disc and the spokes, pop the end through the spokes and rotate the wheel one turn. Attach the other end to convenient tree (there's always one) and nice a slowly push and drive the bike out. You will have to stop every 4 or 5 meters because of the build up of rope around the spokes but I have never had to use it farther than that anyway. The ropes a 40 meter 8.5 mm.

While they are putting a winch on the next Super ADV bike can they also put a reverse gear.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

captinktm wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:03 am While they are putting a winch on the next Super ADV bike can they also put a reverse gear.
Yeah and maybe a parallel pair of wheels alongside the existing ones. And perhaps some kind of metal roof over everything to keep the rain off. Heating would be good as well. Lots of room for extra passengers and luggage too. Think I'm on to something here...
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

a reverse gear would be SO handy .. both for small and big bikes, especially trail bikes like wot get stuck in ruts n stuff.

o .. and an extra gear or two.
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

I tend to carry a ratchet straps, never had to use it because the only times I've needed it I've forgotten to put it back in my bag :lol:
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

daveuprite wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:08 am
captinktm wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:03 am While they are putting a winch on the next Super ADV bike can they also put a reverse gear.
Yeah and maybe a parallel pair of wheels alongside the existing ones. And perhaps some kind of metal roof over everything to keep the rain off. Heating would be good as well. Lots of room for extra passengers and luggage too. Think I'm on to something here...
Ah there goes a tarmac monkey, if you have never been in a situation where reverse would have been useful then you aint trying. A fully loaded adv bike down hill on a single trail (which has never been ridden before) with the front wheel in a bog which continues for hundred meter, sound familiar? No, I thought not. :lol: I guessing your a auto bliper man or maybe heated seat?
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

garyboy wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:17 am a reverse gear would be SO handy .. both for small and big bikes, especially trail bikes like wot get stuck in ruts n stuff.

o .. and an extra gear or two.
At the manufacture stage it would be easy. Better than traction control and a auto blip er.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”