Does anyone carry a winch?

The essential art of farkling.
captinktm

Re: Does anyone carry a winch?

Post by captinktm »

catcitrus wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:40 am
captinktm wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:56 am
Morph wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:01 pm
captinktm wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:34 pm I am assuming you have used one of these? thought not. They are not as effective as digging a trench and laying the rope in. We found that the self recovery anchor on our CET (combat engineer tractor) which was rocket propelled and looked like this was completely useless in the Falklands and simply pull through the ground. I guess you were only joking anyway so I am in fact wasting my own time.
Yes, I was joking but useful to know.

I think the idea of burying a shovel or not having a bike so large that it needs a winch are better ideas.
It matters not how big the bike is when your proper stuck, I have been in Welsh enduro's where 125 have needed 2 or 3 guys to get them out. Be sides if like me you are doing a long trip, and not using hotels, and carrying a lot of food then the bike has to be large enough to carry it. Why not take a rope? they are light and have many uses, I think we are talking about 2 completely different "Adventures" here. Three guys came over to Bulgaria last year with the intention of riding there "light" bikes all the way home ............well part of the way, some of it was spent on a train. Anyway only one made it back without the use of a breakdown truck. These bikes were never designed to cover massive road miles with lights on all the time. Smaller lighter bikes have smaller lighter batteries and stators, they also carry less oil and water, they were never designed for prolonged motorway use. Of course there is always the time element as well. Yes you can cruz across Europe on your 250 or 450 as long as you want the take a week to get to the interesting stuff oh and a week back! Oh dear no time to use your nice light bike of the trails. There as to be a compromise and for me if you are carrying 50/60 kg of gear then the bike has to be minimum of 185 kg or the tail will wag the dog.
Firstly I can't believe this thread !--it must be a joke ! Anyone who thinks a big bike will navigate the mud. rocks etc of Wales or similar is asking for trouble--GSs are particularly useless-wrong gearing, overweight, pots get stuck etc. KTMs (V twins) are about the best but need three people to lift them out when they get stuck--However, good riders use speed and generally survive (I've been out with them). As to riding small bikes to Bulgaria I did it on my wr250R last year with all the camping gear--yes I took my time and enjoyed the less travelled roads--but got there , did a week exploring trails --and rode back--4,500 miles with one chain adjustment and an oil change. I have a 1050 Triumph if I want to blast across continents--horses for courses. I carry a recovery strap and try not to go into really difficult areas when ALONE--getting the bike stuck is one thing but breaking a leg or similar when on your own could be life threatening. If a light bike gets bogged, get all the gear off it, waggle it from side to side until you can lay it down --and then drag the front wheel over, then rear, then front and so on until you can get it upright on more solid ground--and walk it out to keep the weight off. Finally, if it looks boggy THEN STOP--and walk it to test it out and find the best line--if its no go then just turn around!--try all the above on a big bike!--fine if you are Knighter and 6 foot and strong!
Calm down boss, it's only a forum! Right lets get one thing out the way, I have no problem riding my 950 anywhere I point it. Secondly as you admitted your ride across Europe was a sedately one, which took time, and I guess you will say that saw all the nature and the world was good. But not everyone wants this otherwise their be no market for bikes above 300cc. For if I have to ride on the road then I want a bike that gets on with it, and is an all encompassing experience. I have an enduro bike but had I ridden that to Kazakhstan then it would have taken twice as long and the road parts would have been boring. I don't get stuck often and of course when I do I don't depend on anyone but my self. When you are riding in area like the Taurus mountains in Turkey then guess what there are no signs say " this way difficult" and as I have said (you obviously did n't read it) when you commit to a route then at some point dictated by fuel you have to keep going and get through what ever is in front of you. When you reach a washed out part of the track with vertical walls then you have to do something about it, turning back or going round is not an option. I don't know, but I am guessing I could have rode all the trails (may even have done) that you did in Bulgaria on the 950 and had a great time getting here and back. As I have said several times now we are talking about 2 different adventures.
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

Aint it funny how these posts end up going down the same road, big bike small bike? This is supposed to be about carrying a winch (of some kind) If you ride a nice light trail or enduro bike or ride in a group then you don't need to carry a winch or self recovery of any kind do you. But, if you ride a larger bike and ride off road off map, and solo then you'd be a fool to not have some kind of self recovery would you not?
990Duck

Post by 990Duck »

Remember: One mans adventure maybe another mans ride in the park.
We are all different with different tastes and abilities.

Wish I'd known about the rear wheel/rope winch trick before I burnt my 990's clutch out the other week :oops:
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

The topic always polarises.

You don't have to have the big bike, yes, its nice for the trip there and back. Cannot dispute that.

BUT, you can do the trips on smaller bikes if you have the time and/or inclination.

I meet all sorts of travellers, on all sorts of bikes and all sizes. Speeds and techniques will differ, more important will be maintenance, preparation, knowledge and riding style/expectations.

The thing is that its important not to put someone off who has a smaller/older bike but convey to them that the requirements in their case may be different.

We has a very colourful man locally who took a Honda 50 up to the top of Corrauntwohill, Irelands highest mountain. Now there is no way he could have done that on a big adventure bike. I don't think he was over 8 stone and was far from being tall. But his mind was huge and he did mad things. As a 65 year old he flew hang gliders with me.

The very same argument flies when you compare gong off road in a Fiat Panda 4x4 or a Range Rover 4x4.......they both work.

Guess what? I don't go off road but I think the idea of a winch on board is a good one. In a group situation we share out parts and tool rolls and other kit so everyone doesn't need to carry them and a winch would definitely be in the mix if we were off road.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

My old landy has a good winch it's got me and a few others out of trouble a few times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (164.25 KiB) Viewed 3014 times
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

diggermanbob wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:43 pm My old lady is a witch...
Oh Bob, you shouldn't talk about her like that.
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Nice landy there bob....
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

Winches .
Couldn't a compromise be to carry something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pulley-Block ... SwvphakmRE

6:1 mechanical advantage
weight 660g
It wont run the battery down either................
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

I should probably keep my mouth shut here but have to say this thread is hilarious.
A few good ideas... Maybe there is a place for a factory fitted winch on bigger bikes. The rope around the back wheel idea an interesting one, although potentially dangerous.
Think the Steve the grease's idea prob a good one for most of us.
But not surprised the captain ends up in bogs if he too busy chest beating to steer round em. :lol:
Presume you have a specially adapted saddle Captain? (To accommodate those enormous testicles)
I shouldn't mock all this machismo, I'm just bitter because I don't have the budget or time, (or testosterone?), to undertake the type of journeys the Captain described.
Griff097

Post by Griff097 »

captinktm wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:34 am
halfpint wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:22 pm the point being why ride in the ditch in the first place how much luggage are you taking ? I have seen people turn up with all the gear and say the bike is to heavy ..panniers top box the works it a adventure ride !!!! you may need some cord for you tent or a belt to hold your pants up, but simple solution is to plan your line a bit more not ride in the hole first . we all get stuck it happens but a winch !!try this next time your out big deep hole ride round it :o :o
Ah bless there speaks someone who as never been off road off map in their life. Had you been on my last trip you would have turned back and missed the best of the journey because where I ride going round and turning back is not an option. When you are 200 km into a mountain range and don't know where the next fuel is turning back is not the answer because of course you know there is no fuel for 200 km's so you have to press on, that means crossing what ever the route throws up. The kit is never the problem because guess what? You can take it off, but you still have a bike to get unstuck or up the other side of a washed out track which is vertical.
Saying you have seen guys turn up with their bikes to heavy imply's you ride in a group and obviously have not ridden solo? I have no idea what you ride but it matters not I have had occasions when a winch of some kind (my climbing rope ) as saved the day even when ride my enduro bike. But I guess we are talking about two completely different rides, mine is a true adventure because I don't know what's coming.
I am not sure what your problem is with fitting a winch at manufacture? As I have said it would be a lot more useful than all the electronic's for a proper adventure. Fitted at the design stage as part of the starter motor system the bike would only be grams heavier. Think how fast you could get your washing line out! :D Ah hotels? I thought so.

Captain, that sort of riding sounds epic :)

From your posts are you based in Bulgaria now?

Return to “ACCESSORIES”