GPSMAP -v- Montana

The essential art of farkling.
AlanHolt

GPSMAP -v- Montana

Post by AlanHolt »

Are the Montana models worth double the price of the GPSMAP 64S? I don't want on-road navigation, this is purely for off-road use. I want a device which will track where I have been, allow me to follow whole or parts or routes downloaded from sites like Wikiloc. I know a phone can do this, I don't want to use my phone. I want something I can leave on the bike with a weatherproof hardwired holder/charger and keep my phone wrapped in a waterproof bag for emergencies.
TIA
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
captinktm

Re: GPSMAP -v- Montana

Post by captinktm »

I have a montana and love it. Mind you I loved the Garmin 5 I had before that until I found I could n't read it while riding so got the montana as it as a bigger screen.

So I would say if you have good eye sight, (don't require glasses to read) get the smaller model as it's cheaper. But my montana is now ..........um ...........7 years old, well i lie, I bought it second hand so even older than that. So they are good units. I like the way they mount as well, I use mine on two bikes and on the EXC it fits into the bend of the handle bars and this means if the bike is fully up side down the GPS stand a good chance of surviving.
Another good point with the monty is the sim card which means you can load tracks and maps on different cards and change when you want to.
Oh and it lights up really quickly, and keeps gps contact more than some I have used. I am still using mine and would buy another if this one goes pop.

I did have a couple of the 64 s's and both did n't last that long. They also (I think) don't do landscape. So have to be mounted in a vulnerable way.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

I used a cheapy chinese unit for a while and got by , I bought a zumo 550 and also even a spare one I find it really good for road work and that would fill your basic requirments in actual fact doing both those things you mentioned. For trail riding both here in the UK and elsewhere the Montana is the go to bit of kit. There is a lot of gen out there for it suffice it to say it will add a lot of flexibility and save a load of time and money messing with paper maps out on the trail this will partly be exchanged for time in trip planning in advance and initialy learning how to use the thing. Looking at pics of other trail bikes on the net etc you will see many montana series units used so they must be good. sorry I have no experience of the GSMAP for direct comparison.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

I use a old etrex20 which cor trails is perfect, small screen so need bifocals...
Magnon

Post by Magnon »

I use my Montana for everything - in the car, van, touring bike and trail riding. For trail riding I find background maps pointless, even in difficult situation where a trail runs parallel and close to a road, zooming in rarely helps on a small screen.

So, in short if you just want to log tracks and follow preloaded gpx I would save the cash and get the gpsmap.
Last edited by Magnon on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
herman

Post by herman »

I too used the etrex until like Capt KTM my eyesight got the better of me then I got the newer Montana with the better screen and I don't ride into trees as much whilst trying to navigate. I still ride into trees mind. You could always bolt a rugged phone on and just use it for nav (no sim needed)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
WillS

Post by WillS »

I don't know the GPSMAP, but have used the Garmin Montana for a few years for everything, Moto, off-road on-road, in the car, walking in the mountains etc.. A great bit of kit, easy to use, easy to see the screen. Holds lots of detailed maps, 1000's of waypoints etc.
For me Montana, a little expensive but great value when you need it!!
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

The pro's and con's so far.

GPSMAP 64s
Pro's

Small
Cheaper
Dual battery option
Shows text/email alerts from a smartphone

Con's

Single orientation
button only navigation

Montana

Pro's

Bigger/better screen
Glove friendly touchscreen
Dual orientation

Con's

Expensive
Doesn't show smartphone notifications

I can get a new GPSMAP 64s for €265 and the Montana 680 for €465

My mission this weekend is to try and find someone who has each one, and try them out.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

I have a 62csx (now replaced with the 64) and a montana, no use to you as I am in UK.
I can say that I only bought the Montana for the larger screen, the 62csx remains the most reliable GPS I have owned, allways gets a signal even under tree cover and can be loaded with Topo maps, just my eyes don't cut it anymore
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

AlanHolt wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:22 pm The pro's and con's so far.

GPSMAP 64s
Pro's

Small
Cheaper
Dual battery option
Shows text/email alerts from a smartphone

Con's

Single orientation
button only navigation

Montana

Pro's

Bigger/better screen
Glove friendly touchscreen
Dual orientation

Con's

Expensive
Doesn't show smartphone notifications

I can get a new GPSMAP 64s for €265 and the Montana 680 for €465

My mission this weekend is to try and find someone who has each one, and try them out.
The Montana is dual battery as well, it will run on 3 AA's I would never buy new so look for a second hand one which will probably have some good maps on. I am not sure what the difference is between the 600 and 680 but I bet the 600 will do the same job for less money.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”