Optimate Charger ??

The essential art of farkling.
Monster

Optimate Charger ??

Post by Monster »

Hi all

I have an older Optimate Charger - maybe 10 years old (Optimate 3 I think it is)

Can an Optimate device get worn out?? Can you test an Optimate? If yes How?

I have 2 bikes and have been swapping the Optimate between the bikes at random and irregular intervals
Both bikes are stored in a safe and dry (bike) garage with an element of heat as 2 of the 4 walls are attached to the house
The bikes are just used for pleasure ie not commuters or everyday hacks - but they do fair mileage when I can get out
One bike is 56 Reg and the other a 12 Reg

I switch the Optimate on - the light is yellow ... after a day or so (whenever I go out to garage) the light is on green
If I switch off and count to 10 then turn back on ... the light goes yellow again. And repeat over and over
However the bikes will start up no problem and neither has an alarm

Can an Optimate device get worn out?? I may attach it to another bike to see if the same thing happens
Can you test and Optimate? If yes How?

Seems and unlikely coincidence to keep happening on both bikes
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Optimate Charger ??

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I'm guessing here, but I thing the charger tests the battery by putting in a small charge (amber light). When it establishes the battery is charged, the green light comes on.

That's what mine does, anyway.
Monster

Post by Monster »

The light starts out yellow and stays that way for longer than I have patience to watch

When I come back say 24 hrs later it is green

Then I switch off and back on .... and she shows yellow (again longer than I can say)

Not sure here ?
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Optimates are not like your basic battery charger. They have a 30 minute charge and check cycle, and 7 stages of charge.

Seven stage charge

1: Battery check

2: Desulphation and recovery stage: Tests the battery for deep discharge or sulphation. If necessary Optimate engages a high voltage recovery mode (up to 20v) using a very low fixed current.

3: Bulk charge stage: Charges at a constant 0.8 amps until the battery is able to crank the engine

4: Verification stage: A 30 minute charge & check cycle is used to make sure well used batteries are brought to full charge. Steps 3 & 4 are repeated if needed.

5: Voltage retention test: During a 30 minute pause the charging circuit monitors voltage to ensure the battery is capable of holding a charge. A green LED indicates a pass, a red one shows it failed to maintain 12v. A fully charged battery in good condition should retain at least 12.5v.

6: Maintenance/float charge stage: Whether the battery passed stage 5 or not a maximum voltage of 13.6v is applied with up to 200mA available to support any connected alarms/immobilisers etc.

7: Optimise: Stage 5 is repeated every 30 minutes and alternates with stage 6 for as long as the OptiMate 3 is connected.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
recon plane

Post by recon plane »

Monster wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:46 pm Hi all

I have an older Optimate Charger - maybe 10 years old (Optimate 3 I think it is)

Can an Optimate device get worn out?? Can you test an Optimate? If yes How?

I have 2 bikes and have been swapping the Optimate between the bikes at random and irregular intervals
Both bikes are stored in a safe and dry (bike) garage with an element of heat as 2 of the 4 walls are attached to the house
The bikes are just used for pleasure ie not commuters or everyday hacks - but they do fair mileage when I can get out
One bike is 56 Reg and the other a 12 Reg

I switch the Optimate on - the light is yellow ... after a day or so (whenever I go out to garage) the light is on green
If I switch off and count to 10 then turn back on ... the light goes yellow again. And repeat over and over
However the bikes will start up no problem and neither has an alarm

Can an Optimate device get worn out?? I may attach it to another bike to see if the same thing happens
Can you test and Optimate? If yes How?

Seems and unlikely coincidence to keep happening on both bikes
That's normal . It's going through a cycle when you switch it back on and off .
Ktm exc 500. BMW 1200gsaLC XR400, 916 foggy rep 2 CATS
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

I don't think that they get worn out as such but my first one simply died of overwork :(

I have been using an Optimate 6 for a number of years now and would not be with out it. Gets swopped between bikes regularly and provides great service.

I have fitted similar to a number of prestige cars that are not used very often or only on short journeys but they always have a fully charged battery when required. Modern bikes and cars have so many systems running in the background even with the ignition switched off that the battery is always working 24 hours every day.

The main importer of such test equipment is ProBike, a very helpful company;

https://www.optimate.co.uk/contact-us/

TTFN

Hugh.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Mine always does it and it worked a treat.
Same as our cordless phone..pick it up an put it back down and it shows Amber.
Just senses the minute change in charge I guess.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Monster

Post by Monster »

Thanks people ... will spend that money on beer instead

Optimate 3 LIVES ON !!!!!

Return to “ACCESSORIES”