Comfy seat

The essential art of farkling.
DavidS

Re: Comfy seat

Post by DavidS »

I did think that, to a certain extent, and I was very wary of committing to two weeks of riding in India when my normal riding was maybe a max of 150 miles once or twice a month at that time but, with a good old style seat with decent support on the Enfield, i didn't have a single issue so I am still with the theory that modern seat design is style over substance (literally).
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
bowber

Post by bowber »

DavidS wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:22 am I did think that, to a certain extent, and I was very wary of committing to two weeks of riding in India when my normal riding was maybe a max of 150 miles once or twice a month at that time but, with a good old style seat with decent support on the Enfield, i didn't have a single issue so I am still with the theory that modern seat design is style over substance (literally).
WHAT! Are you suggesting a KTM seat is a styling exercise and not made for comfort? :shock: :lol:

Steve
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

bowber wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:33 am
DavidS wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:22 am I did think that, to a certain extent, and I was very wary of committing to two weeks of riding in India when my normal riding was maybe a max of 150 miles once or twice a month at that time but, with a good old style seat with decent support on the Enfield, i didn't have a single issue so I am still with the theory that modern seat design is style over substance (literally).
WHAT! Are you suggesting a KTM seat is a styling exercise and not made for comfort? :shock: :lol:

Steve
I could say yes. :D
I reckon all off road development riders are 5'6 tall and never ride on lanes with overhanging branches. Which, in East Sussex, leaves me sitting more than I should. Add in the amount of road work we have to do between lanes (80 miles out of 100ish) and that';s why I need a better padded seat. Stuffing a cushion down my trousers is not an option.

That said, my 690 enduro seat is only fractionally bulkier than a normal enduro bike seat and that is plenty comfy and doesn't look like a sofa.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
MattCrane

Post by MattCrane »

I think I am the odd one out on here then as I really love my R1200GSA's seat.

When I first bought it, it had the standard height seat on it but I was a bit off balance when the wife was climbing on and off so I bought the standard BMW Low seat then rode it to France and back, about 1500miles over the course of a week and had no issues at all with comfort.
Saint998

Post by Saint998 »

Had a lot of seats in my life that were uncomfortable for various reasons. Too hard. Wrong shape, wrong angle pushing too far forward etc.

But here are the comfy ones and then the bad ones. All bikes I have owned and current ones.

BMW R100GS PD. Did a 12500 km trip over 5 weeks. Up to 8 hours on the bike some days. No issues at all. Actually almost all old BMWs had great seats but then they either outsourced them or accountants started to interfere with them.

BMW R100R (1994). Same great seat. Lots of foam and great shape/angle.

Honda CB500X (2015). Have the rally raid level 3 conversion but standard Honda seat. Great seat and best angle/tilt I ever found. You can sit where you want and you stay there. The texture of the seat and the angle means you don't slide around but can move when you want. No ball crushing. Recently did a 8000km trip.

Triumph Bonneville 2004. Lovely seat (optional premium seat from triumph). Like a well upholstered leather single seater with buttons in it. Rode to Rome from London over the alpine passes. Bum said thank you 😀

Terrible ones . Ducati 998s. BMW F800GS. KTM 640 LC4. Guzzi LeMans 1100. 2008 R1.
Cone

Post by Cone »

Second the bmw F800gs being uncomfortable.

My current seat is on par so I’m currently building my own cushion. (Using my mother’s sowing skills) feels good so far and cost a total of 15 quid
image.jpg
image.jpg (218.97 KiB) Viewed 3674 times
biker

Post by biker »

I use an iflatable camping pillow got it from Yeomans years ago.
I AM THAT I AM
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

PADDYTFIELD wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:09 pm Hi
Probably been done to death but here goes.
After a hundred miles or so my backside feels like I ve just regained consciousness in a Turkish prison only to discover I’m now called “the pretty one.
I ride a 1200 Triumph Tiger Explorer,I have tried an Airhawk and it was horrible,and yes I know it’s meant to be practically deflated but it just didn’t work.
Spent a large amount on a Touratech seat which was too slippery and the angle was all wrong,I had the front set to high and the rear set to normal but the seat was too wide and made putting a foot down awkward.
At the moment I have a chunk of sheepskin strapped to a Triumph heated seat which I believe is a comfort seat with a heating element in and it seems to be the best result so far,did 3500 miles around France/Spain in May including. 310 mile overnighter from Portsmouth to Scarborough and it certainly increased my duration between rest stops.
I have also tried cycle shorts and I have just purchased from the ABR shop a pair of Motoskivvies for a price I would normally only pay for underwear if Jessica Alba had previously owned them. ;)
Any ideas.
Cheers Paddy
My baby beemer came with two seats.... Standard Plank and a “Comfort”Seat made by Airhawk.
Early days yet, not had time to do many miles on it, but tbh, prefer the ergonomics of the standard seat to The aftermarket one. The airhawk has this sort of sculpted recessed seat to park yr bum in that sort of keeps you in one position. I like to move around a bit while riding, especially on back lanes, but this definitely restricts yr movement. Although that might be less of a problem when 2 up. I’m always more sedate with a passenger.
I Also find the airhawk gets in the way if I’m riding stood up over rougher stuff.
The standard seat is a killer and starts to become uncomfortable after after just an hour or so in the saddle. Although the “comfort” saddle enables me to ride for longer, it only adds another half hour of riding comfortably....definitely not all-day comfort.... but perhaps I’m just getting old?
On balance, I’m glad I didn’t pay full price for the aftermarket seat, I’d have been disappointed. Do your research before you shell out on one would be my advice.
xpc316e

Post by xpc316e »

My new to me 1991 Goldwing has a leather Corbin seat that cost the former owner £850. It is like sitting astride a piece of railway line after more than an hour on the bike. I currently have an Airhawk pad on it and that allows me to ride for 90 minutes before my backside has had enough. I did a 450 mile day yesterday and was in real discomfort by the time I reached home, so a seat rebuild is on the cards.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”