Help, need a number plate

The essential art of farkling.
GB

Help, need a number plate

Post by GB »

Hi folks, been trying to source a metal number plate for my GS, the perspex ones either break(when I fall off) of they get melted by the exhaust. I have tried a piece of alloy behind the number plate but you can still see where it is melting the laminate. Anyone know where I can get a metal one?
Finally back on a GS :D
The Wilbur

Re: Help, need a number plate

Post by The Wilbur »

MCN classified ads usually have some makers of "Show Plates".

I got a Flexible plastic one for my 404 CCM from Mal Plates, sold as "Not for Road Use". As it was 7"x5" & the Letters & Numbers were only 2" instead of 2.25", I was never stopped.

Metal plates were also an option at the time, because they are still supplied for Vintage bikes, even in Silver on Black.
SUCK : SQUEEZE : BANG : BLOW

www.f650.co.uk
GB

Post by GB »

Silver and black are no problem to get, yellow and black are the awkward ones to find, mate says there is a place in Ireland that might do them, the hunt is on :evil:
Heff

Post by Heff »

I believe that black/silver plates can only be fitted legally to vehicles registered pre1975 or thereabouts and perspex type plates must be fitted or it carries a £30 fixed penalty..... Again to get legal plates you must produce ID and your V5 to the number plate maker so again be careful as plates bought from the internet will more than likely be 'Show Plates' or not for road use... But it you you will be displaying them...

Heff
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black
GB

Post by GB »

So if the colour and size is correct, you still cant use a different material, nearly all of europe uses metal plates :angry:
The Wilbur

Post by The Wilbur »

Like I said, with the CCM, the plate was not legal, but on a trail bike, & behaving myself :P was never stopped.

You are probably more likely to be stopped for a standard & legal plate that is unreadable because it has been scorched by your exhaust, as you are for one which is legible but slightly outside the letter of the law.

Presume that you do not have the Standard exhaust, or would suggest going back to BMW dealer for selling you a bike that is not fit for purpose :whistle:

www.f650.co.uk
The Wilbur

Post by The Wilbur »

Original plate was too big & getting scorched by standard pipe :unsure: but that was CCM all over ;)

101_2564.JPG
101_2564.JPG (112.76 KiB) Viewed 2333 times
Only an inch under size, with 2 inch letters, but no name or Postcode of maker, which is required by law nowadays. Standard plate was kept for MOTs, but I had to sell before 3 years old anyway.

www.f650.co.uk
GB

Post by GB »

Found one :) ordered a metal from Ireland, standard size and letters just in metal. The problem with the exhaust started when the cat was removed, but the difference in performance and weight is worth it :evil:
herman

Post by herman »

I get my local friendly sign writer to do my bike plates,no reason one could'nt do a lump of metal direct I guess ? Too late. Oh and I use bt quality phone box perspex...never had one break or melt.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Heff

Post by Heff »

GB wrote:So if the colour and size is correct, you still cant use a different material, nearly all of europe uses metal plates :angry:
I would be of the opinion if the number plate meets the requirements as per the British Standard it should be ok but if not it will fail the MOT

See the DVLA link

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Pe ... /DG_181503

As I have found out, what you want and what is legal in the eyes of the traffic plod are not the same

Heff
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black

Return to “ACCESSORIES”