Which iPhone Satellite Navigation Application

The essential art of farkling.
OB1

Which iPhone Satellite Navigation Application

Post by OB1 »

This year, I'm heading round the four corners of the UK and I'm thinking about a more reliable navigation app for my iPhone. I have a stand-alone TomTom Rider, but it's more than a decade old and woefully out of date. I also have a stand alone Garmin for the car but it's not waterproof.
This leaves me with the iPhone apps for navigation. I've been using Skobbler's GPS Navigation for a few years but never really gelled with it as it isn't perfect: it has told me to turn right when on a motorway but when you look at the screen, the route is clearly left... :pinch:
So now I'm thinking of maybe a TomTom or Garmin app. What I need to know is the pros and cons for each of them... please help!
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Fishandchips

Re: Which iPhone Satellite Navigation Application

Post by Fishandchips »

I have been using google maps which is great for an A to B trip, also gives you 2 or 3 routes as options and calculates the route time using road traffic flow data. You can choose fastest or a more scenic route although it doesn't tell you this.
I would be interested to see what others use on their iPhones as google maps won't let you plan your own route with waypoints. I tried using google on a computer and sending to my phone but it didn't work.
A good app would be perfect for me also.
Garry
Ourdavid

Post by Ourdavid »

Have a look at Waze you get live traffic and speed camera alerts and it's free. I use it all the time in the car and it hasn't failed me yet.
GB

Post by GB »

navmii works well on iPhone and you don't need a phone signal either.
Finally back on a GS :D
FAT MATT

Post by FAT MATT »

+1 for Navmii on the road too. I've used it in a few countries. It is storage heavy but I just download the map for the countries I need when planning a trip and delete when I come back. You can still download the maps for free whenever you need to.
My only criticism is it doesn't seem to give you options for routes like google maps does. Or at least I haven't figured out how to do that. But to be fair in other countries I trust the app to get me there with minimal fuss.
sven

Post by sven »

I used CoPilot in the USA last year and it worked perfectly. You can drag the route where you want it to go. (thumbs)
The maps are downloaded onto the phone, so you don't use any data whilst navigating
Toe

Post by Toe »

Ourdavid wrote:Have a look at Waze you get live traffic and speed camera alerts and it's free. I use it all the time in the car and it hasn't failed me yet.
Another big vote on Waze (for data usage satnav at least).
Offline maps I've only used maps.me in SE Asia and it very worked well. It's free, got me to where I needed to go and, big thing for me especially at the time, you only download 'areas' that you need so no huge download if you don't need it. Also great for putting pins in points of interest, accommodation/camp sites, places to eat and so on. Highly recommend as a travel app, even if you don't use it for satnav.
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM
TomBoyNI

Post by TomBoyNI »

Check out 'Here We Go'
It used to be called Here Maps, before that it was Nokia Maps.
I believe they are just rebranded Garmin maps and are available to download all for free. Globally. I use it frequently and has never let me down. (thumbs)
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography
XTChris

Post by XTChris »

sven wrote:I used CoPilot in the USA last year and it worked perfectly. You can drag the route where you want it to go. (thumbs)

The maps are downloaded onto the phone, so you don't use any data whilst navigating
I too have CoPilot and have found it to be pretty good. I have also used Nokia Here maps when travelling through France but found that it frequently froze.

These too have the benefit of being able to download the whole map so you don't rely on having a phone signal.
Chasbmw

Post by Chasbmw »

I have used copilot all over europe for 4/5 years, dead cheap, free updates, loads onto phone's memory so no data issues, works seamlessly with interphone if you need the nagging.
I use Maps ME for walking, seems to pick up lots of obscure paths. works finding Pistes in Morocco as well.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”