Sena 20s

The essential art of farkling.
Tremain1

Sena 20s

Post by Tremain1 »

Unfortunately, I invested in this technical piece of crap - well, it seems a waste of money at the moment.
My set up is this -
Sena 20s - paired to Navigator 5 satnav - Satnav paired to iphone 6s
All have the latest firmwear
Settings on the satnav are set to voice prompt mute.
Problems -
During a call - and I think at a point where the satnav would normally be giving directions or warnings etc - the phone reception cuts off and I can only hear my own voice echoing back in my earpiece.
I also find that when listening to the radio, it constantly cuts off after about a minute and then announces the band width again and resumes play - this is so annoying I switch off the radio after a short time.
So, does anyone else have these issues?
If no - what is the ideal setup ? what phone works best ?
I want the phone to satnav link because I want to control and make calls when riding.
I do appreciate that the phone direct to Sena 20s may be an option that works better but I cant believe that there isint a set up out there that works faultlessly. Although everyone I have spoken to that has one of these thing regrets the purchase.
Hopefully, someone out there can reassure my that I haven't washed three hundred quid up the swanny !
Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated.
Chris
Apophis

Re: Sena 20s

Post by Apophis »

I have a sena 5 and i think your set up is not strictly correct according to sena's recomendations
set up your phone to the headset as the prime device then set the sat nav as a secondary
this will give you a turn interupt to music or phone call when a turn is coming up
hope this helps get the unit working with out issue
Every day is an adventure
Beepee

Post by Beepee »

Your satnav is acting as the bluetooth I reckon. Why do you need the directions spoken ? Even in my van they're off
Delete the satnav connection and only connect the phone. Great bit of kit, I'm looking for one for my son for our Euro trip. Mine and my mates are brilliant. It's actually weird if one forgets to charge it and we loose connection. No piss taking on the ride !
Tremain1

Post by Tremain1 »

Thanks for the replies - couple of things ...
Apophis - not sure the Sena 20s offers the same set up option for primary and secondary.
Beepee - I don't have (or want) the directions spoken. That's the point. They are switched off. I just think that its at a point where there would normally be an output from the satnav that you just hear feedback from the mic - the call doesn't terminate, but they don't hear you either so, dependent how long it takes to clear, most hang up anyway.
If I just connect phone to Sena - I have no control over the calls that come in, cant dial out on the go, cant see music I may want to play, etc etc.
Thanks
Chris
skipper

Post by skipper »

20s is a great bit of kit, I don't understand why you can not dial out just use the voice controlled speed dial.
podrick

Post by podrick »

I have the exact same setup and it works fine,
I don't think it worked too well when phone was paired to the sena, maybe you have paired them?
The radio message may be poor reception or i find sometimes the collar on my jacket catches the wheel of the Sena, that might be changing the radio station.
When it was new i seem to remember having to reset it all to factory settings and starting again, but once working it was and still is great.
Philiptigerrice

Post by Philiptigerrice »

I love my 20S :)
I don't bother much with the Radio Stations, as when I'm riding I tend to be crossing counties - and even if you try to listen to Radio One for example - it runs across half a dozen bandwidths nationally - and the unit can't choose to change the frequency to track a station - it just listens to one frequency... So you may be bordering a frequency changeover spot - if that makes sense.
I have the same set up though, 20S, Iphone 6S and Nav V.
But - I only link my 20S to the iPhone. I'm not interested in hearing the Nav nattering and nagging away in my ear - I just use the screen for guidance.
I do have the phone linked to the Nav V though - but thats really just so I can use the Tracking Feature for safety reasons if I'm going off long distances on my own - my wife and a pal can see where I am up to / last known location.
Generally for my music, I just put a long playlist on my iPhone and let it run.
I rarely make calls on the Sena - and therefore only have 2 speed dial numbers in it.
My wife and my mate.
But - as a rule, thats so I can give her a quick bell to tell her to get her legs shaved - I'm on my way home - and with my mate - his system can't talk to Sena, so we just up our free minutes and talk bike to bike using a free mobile call.
I'd do a full reset of the Sena, and don't bother linking it to the Navigator at all. To me there's no benefit in it. If you're trying to control stuff from the phone / Sena by using the screen, its too much head down, hand off handle bar time for me.
The Sena takes a little bit of practice to get all the controls down to a 'T' but it is worth it when you do.
Also - there is a handle bar mounted remote you can get - maybe that would help?
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... 0wodm5ABUQ
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
Philiptigerrice

Post by Philiptigerrice »

Just re read the thread - agree with Skipper - dialling out is easy - just the voice prompt - or - like me - have a few regular numbers logged in speed dial.
As for controlling the music - as I said - I don't really fancy looking at screen to change the tunes, on a bike.
Set up some playlists - and if you don't fancy a song as it ocmes on - just press and turn the wheel once, and it moves to the next track (thumbs)
One of the odd things about the Sena, is that there's often two ways of doing any one task - do a full reset - and have a look through the basic functions again - sit in the house and have a play - use the Sena App too - thats pretty good! (thumbs)
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)

Return to “ACCESSORIES”