MULTITOOLS

The essential art of farkling.
*Touring Ted*

MULTITOOLS

Post by *Touring Ted* »

I really enjoyed the write up on Multitools in Issue six.

I was reading the mag at 4.30am due to some random insomnia and in a moment of inspiration, I realised I needed one. :blink:

Well, I was going to buy the 'KICK' following Alun's advice but found the better and sturdier 'BLAST' on Amazon for £42 INC the posh leather case.

Bargain or what ??

Doggo

Re: MULTITOOLS

Post by Doggo »

Great spot, Ted.

Cheers :)

"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower." - Hans Christian Andersen

When a man is tired of motorcycling, he is tired of life
davsato

Post by davsato »

leatherman wave mk1+ leather pouch, given me many years of good service.
Reading the article made me think did the writer actually use any of them before doing the write up? And this isnt a dig, just my own experiences with many tools and knives. I noticed one had a can/bottle opener, well, it looked like it was made of cheese and so thin it would just twist up, it takes a lot of force to open a crown top and a food tin. Even the one on my l.man struggled till i tweaked it, the only one ive ever had that worked well was on a victorinox SAK, as you'd expect.
And also the gerber with bear grylls name on it, seems to have very big and chunky handles holding some very short and useless blades?
Dave
Morph

Post by Morph »

Agreed, I was surprised that a Penknife beat a Leatherman!
I wouldn't be without mine.
The lightest piece of kit is the one you leave behind...
2 wheeled tourist

Post by 2 wheeled tourist »

davsato wrote:leatherman wave mk1+ leather pouch, given me many years of good service.
Reading the article made me think did the writer actually use any of them before doing the write up? And this isnt a dig, just my own experiences with many tools and knives. I noticed one had a can/bottle opener, well, it looked like it was made of cheese and so thin it would just twist up, it takes a lot of force to open a crown top and a food tin. Even the one on my l.man struggled till i tweaked it, the only one ive ever had that worked well was on a victorinox SAK, as you'd expect.
And also the gerber with bear grylls name on it, seems to have very big and chunky handles holding some very short and useless blades?

This one's for Davsato ;)

[video]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01NHcTM5IA4[/video]

:ohmy: :lol:
Hey! I'm a tourist. And that's how I like it.
Lord Sut

Post by Lord Sut »

My Leatherman Wave is excellent, but some of the tools on my Victorinox pen knife are undoubtably superior. Scissors, saw and tin opener for example. The pliers and the pouch mean that its usually the Wave that I carry
GB

Post by GB »

davsato wrote:leatherman wave mk1+ leather pouch, given me many years of good service.
Reading the article made me think did the writer actually use any of them before doing the write up?
I thought the same Dav, but with a £50 limit you do miss a big junk of tools
Finally back on a GS :D
Vindaloo

Post by Vindaloo »

I used to manage an climbing / hillwalking / outdoor shop in the late 90s when Leatherman tools were 'the' thing. We used to sell as many as we could get into stock. The original Leatherman tools (PST / PST2) seemed just a bit lightweight to me though and we had a good few returns - in fairness mostly through abuse and Leatherman always backed them up with FOC repairs and replacements. The newer models like the Wave seemed just a little gimmicky to me and maybe a little bit form over function ...

I wanted something a bit more heavy duty and went for the Victorinox Swiss Tool. Can't rate it highly enough. I always like a new toy but this multi-tool is one yoke I don't think I'll ever want to replace.

I've had it for 11 years and it's still going strong. In terms of £s per use it must be the best value bit of kit I've ever bought. :)

GB

Post by GB »

A good tool the vickyknocks,really heavy duty. very similar to the Leatherman supertool, and remember they are all based on Tim leathermans original design ;)
Finally back on a GS :D
davsato

Post by davsato »

GB wrote:
Reading the article made me think did the writer actually use any of them before doing the write up?
I thought the same Dav, but with a £50 limit you do miss a big junk of tools
i know, but i include the other half of the tool test in the previous mag, and my leatherman was only £50 from germany when i got it about 10yrs ago, which was 50% RRP at the time, i think they are even more now? (speaking of which, the mk2 wave has sacrificed a few tools for a 1/4" bit holder, any good? personally i use the small drivers quite a lot, but never as screwdrivers!)

vindaloo, i looked at the swisstool when i bought my wave, its made every bit as well and shiny as their knives, and is probably the best of the bunch but its not cheap and i couldnt argue with a wave for £50! (and i do prefer the four larger outer blades on the wave, thats a nice touch)
Dave

Return to “ACCESSORIES”