Puncture repair - tubed tyres

The essential art of farkling.
thebiggestjolly

Puncture repair - tubed tyres

Post by thebiggestjolly »

Hi all,
I'm preparing for a trip this summer, tarmac touring - only offroading will be getting off the road to set up camp.
I'm looking into options regarding puncture repair, for tubed tyres. My options seemed to be:
- Patches and glue
- Tyre weld / slime
- Just take spare tubes
And having gone through all the past posts the general advice seems to be spare tubes and practice beforehand. What I'm wondering is, does anyone have recommendations for all the bits I'll need, good tyre levers/kits etc.
Changed/repaired multiple bicycle tyres, but never on a motorbike.
Cheers all
Jolly
dibbs

Re: Puncture repair - tubed tyres

Post by dibbs »

I prefer just to put a new tube in, then repair the old one when you have time at a camp site or hotel and time on your hands. I would suggest 3 x tyre spoons the ones with slightly rounded edges as they are easier to use and less chance of pinching the new tube. And definatley practice changing one before you go! Its actually easier than you think, and you will feel a good sense of achievment after youve done it. Check out you tube vids on the subject and youll soon be a tyre changing master.......oh and take your time so you do it properly its not a race but all part of the adventure. Good luck on your trip.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

As youve got a transalp make sure the rear wheel spindle comes out as they can seize in swing arm...then
1 21 inch front tube and weldtite puncture glue, some large patches,sandpaper..
Wd 40 to help with tyre removal :woohoo: rubber gloves..buzzetti levers 2 medium is all ive needed...you can use 21 tube in front and rear i rode 2000mls like this loaded because i forgot it was inside...
Id remove both front and rear wheels and tyres before trip so you know whats what..also brakes the beads...
You may never have a punture but if so dont worry european bikers are helpfull B) ..
A 12v pump too :ohmy:
SIF

Post by SIF »

Seriously, if that's all the off road you're going to do I wouldn't go to the expense of it all. However if you do then pre slime your tubes with a bottle of slime in each first. This will deal with small thorns and maybe a nail. After that you could consider a Motion pro spanner which doubles up as a tyre lever plus another lever, a puncture repair kit and a bicycle pump. Then watch YouTube :)
bowber

Post by bowber »

You'll most likely not have a problem but it's handy knowing how to change the tube, so based on that it's important to practice before hand, you don't need to use your own wheel but familiarise yourself with how to remove your bikes wheels and practice doing that a couple of times.
Lots of videos about how to change/repair tubes so go through them and get hold of an old wheel similar to yours.
Also look at OKO tube type slime stuff.
Steve
SIF

Post by SIF »

Ha we must have all posted at the same time !
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

A couple of Motion Pro Tools T6 Combo Levers in the appropriate size for your wheel nuts is also a good addition
http://www.adventurebikewarehouse.com/e ... ucts/MP001

A bead buddy and a couple of rim protectors to stop damage from the levers would also be an option

http://www.adventurebikewarehouse.com/e ... ops/BT4672
http://www.adventurebikewarehouse.com/e ... ucts/MP011
Cone

Post by Cone »

all very straight forwaard, until you try and break the beads, sometimes its a proper bitch! :woohoo: :woohoo:
rlkat

Post by rlkat »

Definitely get one of these. I got mine for £6.50 but can't remember where.
http://www.motosport.com/bikemaster-tir ... num-handle
I've no idea how to add a signature.
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Cone wrote:all very straight forwaard, until you try and break the beads, sometimes its a proper bitch! :woohoo: :woohoo:
Ive seen videos of people using the bike stand to do that

Return to “ACCESSORIES”