Tom Tom Rider Dock-waterproof?

The essential art of farkling.
Manxytiger

Tom Tom Rider Dock-waterproof?

Post by Manxytiger »

IMG_0791.PNG
IMG_0791.PNG (185.37 KiB) Viewed 4113 times

I've just purchased a Tom Tom Rider for my bike and unlike my previous (Garmin) satnav the electrical connector on the mount doesn't have a cover you can clip on to protect it from dust and water when the unit has been removed. I don't want to have to take the mount off every time, as it is locked on to my handlebars, but I'm concerned that when I leave the bike and take the satnav unit off, the electrical connectors are exposed to the elements. Is there a cover available, do I trust that it's waterproof, or should I carry a plastic bag and an elastic band with me? Hope the attached image adds clarity to my ramblings and thanks in advance.
Peirre

Re: Tom Tom Rider Dock-waterproof?

Post by Peirre »

When not in use, pull a plastic bag over it and wrap an elastic band around it to keep it in place. If you want a more sophisticated solution, use a touratwat plastic bag
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

I've been looking at the rider 40 - I'm surprised theres no solution to this as if it's on the bike and it rains (which it will!) then there doesn't seem to be much in the way of preventing this from happening.

What I find more interesting is that from a review I read it said the sat nav unit is 'splash proof' as opposed to being properly waterproof. Is there any point in having it on the bike then?

Hoping someone with the same rider unit can comment as I'd be interested to hear your thoughts before buying!
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
flamair

Post by flamair »

Not much help here I guess, but I can't see why you'd buy the TomTom Rider over the offerings from Garmin. My 550 is submersible, is 9 years old and, with an 8gb card in it still holds the latest maps, as well as many hours of Audible audio book (for long motorway stretches) and many days worth of MP3s.

However, I'd go down the same route of a plastic bag over the nav mount. I do that with the 550 mount when I'm washing the bike, and it's still 100% after all these years.
Remember, you're unique!

(Just like everyone else)
Tourider

Post by Tourider »

I've had a Rider 400 for a couple of years. I wipe a bit of ACF50 over the contacts every now and then, I've not had a problem.
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

Tourider wrote:I've had a Rider 400 for a couple of years. I wipe a bit of ACF50 over the contacts every now and then, I've not had a problem.
Easy solution I suppose - thanks!

I'm thinking the offering from Tom Tom as it is around £210 online at the moment, considering this price for a bike specific sat nav, in comparison with the Garmin unit is considerably more and I can't justify spending that much on a Garmin unit (though I will concede they appear to be better quality!).
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
ScottHeyden

Post by ScottHeyden »

I have a TomTom 410 on my Bike for just under a year. Have to admit that I never cover it up when I wash the bike :whistle:
Moorso
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@alternate-road

Post by Moorso »

I have the Rider 400 and it has been soaked....had no issues! (when I say soaked, I mean riding in heavy rain!).

I don't have it on that dock though, rather when I need to charge I have a little case for the handlebars and run the power off the bike's power socket. I felt the mount that came with the device was clunky and massive!
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@alternate-road
Web: www.alternate-road.blogspot.co.uk/

Author of: 'Valhalla and the Fjörd'
Hammy1

Post by Hammy1 »

Rider 400 been on bike for 2 years in torrential rain at times, never had an issue although is behind an S10 screen.
Manxytiger

Re: Tom Tom Rider Dock-waterproof

Post by Manxytiger »

I'm replacing a Garmin which had become very unreliable in spite of two new batteries. Every time I tried to switch the damned thing on it was a gamble as to whether or not it would get past the welcome screen. Usually when I really needed it, it let me down.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”