Noob Bar Riser Query

The essential art of farkling.
SteveW

Re: Noob Bar Riser Query

Post by SteveW »

I'm a short arse at just under 6'-3" I put bar risers on both my GS800's.
I can't remember what size they where, but I didn't need to fit extended cables.
You'll find that most suppliers of risers for specific bikes will state whether you'll be able to fit them with standard cable lengths.
It's good advise to try rotating the bars within the clamps first to try out different bar positions.
HarveyCamm

Post by HarveyCamm »

I've fitted 30mm bar risers to my CRF and rotated the bars, not only for the extra height but also to put the levers in a better alignment when stood up otherwise my wrists were crunched up trying to brake etc. no longer cables were needed. I've also got a Heli Bar kit on my Pan Euro which sorted out shoulder pain on long runs, no cable changes needed there either. I'd guess most bike will take a 30mm rise without any other changes but others may know for sure.
I'm 6'3" and I do occasionally ride the Pan stood up to stretch out, I must look a real sight :woohoo: :whistle:
Harv
Tim B KTM

Post by Tim B KTM »

I tried Touratech risers on my 2015 BM GSA 1200. Both 25mm and 40mm. 25mm definitely improved standing. 40mm felt even more comfortable when standing but less so when sitting (although not bad). The 40mm jobs needed a re-routing of the cables to outside of the fork legs but was easy. If the 800 doesn't have the single shock set up like the 1200 may take a bit more effort. Would have thought 25mm would fit with no cable issues. Around £50 so not horribly expensive if doesn't work out. I'm 6'2". Not sure these pics give much of a clue as I'm not standing on the bike but you can just about see the cable rerouting. 25mm in first pic.
Riser25.jpg
Riser25.jpg (35.96 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
Riser40.jpg
Riser40.jpg (40.37 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
greenmachine

Post by greenmachine »

I am 6'2" and found my XR400 too cramped.I started with 35mm risers which were a good improvement but the standard bars were also too narrow,so I fitted Renthal "RC high" bars, which are the straightest highest bars available, and its now much more comfortable when standing and there was no need to change any cables etc, just some minor re routing. Interesting video on the subject on youtube here:

Return to “ACCESSORIES”