Adventure spec bashplate ktm 990 adv

The essential art of farkling.
Richard Simpson

Re: Adventure spec bashplate ktm 990 adv

Post by Richard Simpson »

The plate comes in two parts. There's the main part incorporating the storage compartment which forms the nose and most of the base of the complete assembly, and a plate which attaches to the back, which is a shallow U-section and takes the two horizontal bolts at the rear which allow the plate to pivot so the battery can be accessed when the two front bolts are undone. When you first fit the plate, you assemble it, offer it up to the bike, attach it via the fitting bolts, then, when it's all aligned, tighten up the bolts that join the two parts.

The bolts joining the two halves have flat heads, so the plate will slide over obstacles (good) but the bad thing is they stick up though very chunky locknuts on the inside/topside of the plate. If the plate is crashed into a rock at the point where the two parts join, and dents inwards, these can hit the crankcase bang on the vertical joint.

The annoying thing is, that after first fitting, there should be no need to undo the killer bolts again in the life of the plate. But a man of your talents could probably assemble the bashplate: fit it and get the alignment of the two halves absolutely correct, bolt it all up tight, then drop the plate as a complete assembly, weld the two parts together, then undo the bolts and fill the holes...or even leave the holes in the hope that some of the water and crap will drain out.

I just ground the bolts down flush to the top of the nuts, then stuck a piece of really hard foam over the top.

I hope this makes sense...
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

Cheers Richard

I'll have a look when it turns up and go from there.
Richard Simpson

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the bike once you've formed an opinion of it. Especially vs the BMW 800 and Tenere.

My biggest problem is that it's the kind of bike that you feel you have wasted its time if you ride it less than 100 miles. Jumping on it to go to the post office or whatever seems wasteful. It feels like every journey should be via Wiltshire or somewhere, so you can take in a few long green lanes.
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

Just arrived

Looking at it now I see what you mean, rather than weld it you could turn the csk bolts around and csk the plate from the top so the bolt head is flush inside.

Yep only draw back being the bolt will stick underneath the plate by 10-12 mm
Richard Simpson

I did think about doing that, but was worried about the nuts and bolts catching, and either bringing the bike to an eye-watering halt or just being driven up through the plate like nails.
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

And I've just noticed the rear seperate part is mild steel not ally so no welding
Richard Simpson

Bugger!
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

Strip of rubber same span as the bolts to spread the load
Richard Simpson

That's more or less what I did.
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

Very well made bashplate.

The left hand wing (gear shift side) sits pretty close to the ignition cover tho

Return to “ACCESSORIES”