Oxford maxximiser plug type?

The essential art of farkling.
Tramp

Oxford maxximiser plug type?

Post by Tramp »

Ive found in my electric box a old maximiser fused lead with cap....what is the plug type please....google aint helping me today...

I need to attach my battery jump startor as the battery is a pain to get to ....bike lives in a garage with no electric...

Taa
Oop North John

Re: Oxford maxximiser plug type?

Post by Oop North John »

I'd guess that a a lead designed as a battery charging one will get warm very quickly if it's used to jump start a bike, might even set the insulation alight.

Whereas something like this: http://www.nippynormans.com/k1300sk1300 ... -jump-lead has been designed for it.
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

Is it like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxford-Maximi ... 1200522647

If so, I just use Tamiya battery plugs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-PAIR-Of-R ... rkt%3D1%26

Or, if it's the other type (an exposed male plug) then it's an SAE Connector like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Battery-Tende ... SwV0RXtCeb

I do agree with the posters comment above though if used for jump starting. I just use mine for keeping them on the battery conditioner/charger etc.
skipper

Post by skipper »

the oxford cable will be made to take a 2 or 3 amp charge, it may not be so happy to have 100+ amps through it.I would be inclines to use something a little more heavy duty.If you can clip to a good earth easily you may only need a + wire.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Cheers all, I will rethink lol...

Yep it's a team plug
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

The Oxford cable will simply melt the insualation under the starter load so dont even think that as an option.

You need to attach something compatable in size to that fitted between battery and starter this said it doesnt need to be at the battery end it could be from the starter relay end which is fed from the battery.

I have seen mention by a Pan European owner of a similar issue and they installed two lugs connected to the battery underneath the seat for such an eventuality.
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

Tramp wrote:Cheers all, I will rethink lol...

Yep it's a team plug
Hey Russ use a small Anderson jack plug and socket , run a couple of decent cables to the battery , you can bolt the socket on the bike where it's easy to get to and use the plug on whatever your going to use to jump start it (thumbs)
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

Tramp wrote:I need to attach my battery jump startor as the battery is a pain to get to ....bike lives in a garage with no electric...

Taa
Get a 50a (SB50) Anderson plug with short leads and fix the ends of the leads +/- to the battery, then tuck the plug behind the seat subframe or seat plastics where it can easily be reached.
The plugs are the size of a matchbox.
Then fix a pair of SB50's in the jump starter cables around 6" from the clamps if your going to use the jump pack on multiple vehicles, or fix a single SB50 to the end of the jump pack leads if your only going to use it on the bike.
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-Anderson-S ... Ciid%253A4
You'll then have a quick connect setup between the jump pack and battery. I did a similar thing on the triumph & put the other plugs in my jumper cables

Tramp

Post by Tramp »

I think folks are getting confused....i am lol...

The bike is a ccm644 enduro.....battery is under seat and terminals are very small ...the jump startor is a new generation lithium 20,000mah compact pack size of a phone with around 300amp crank power...the cables on it are small compared to car jump leads as are crockodile clips....surely if the same gauge cable comes from battery to a simple plug..then whats the problem...

Ive used very small cable before from cars and not melted anything lol...

We dont all ride bemouth supertankers...
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

The cables are a small cross section because they are short hence smaller resistance and voltage loss than long cables.
The CCA [cold cranking amperage]of your bike will be somewhere near the capacity of the battery installed as standard.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”