Doug74

Re: Which Adventure Travel Books?

Post by Doug74 »

Oisin Hughes "that I may die roaming"
Good read with good humour.
simonw

Post by simonw »

VersysRider wrote:Thanks for all the fantastic replies! It looks like I need to clear some shelf space and dive into some more adventuring literature!
Or get a Kindle (and a charger socket) (thumbs)
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

Nothing beats the smell of a new book though - can't get that with a kindle! Though I do have a tablet so can use it as an e-reader.
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

i think that about the new mag when it arrives love the smell,

anyhow's, has anyone read nic saunders latest, i have and its utter crap hes just rambles on about push bikes and living in glossop, but dan walsh's is worth a read esp after a few beers so you can get into the mood.

steve
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

After reading this thread I ordered a couple of reccommended books and the first to arrive is Mike Carter's "Uneasy rider".
True to form, within a few chapters, this one has me laughing out loud ..... not only at the written words but also at my own reflection within the pages :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .
Thanks for the heads up (thumbs) B)
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
AdventureRiderRadio

Post by AdventureRiderRadio »

Sam Manicom, Graham Field, Shirley and Brian Rix, of course Chris Scott's. Robert Wick's How-to books. So many out there.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Just finished 'Mountains of the Mind' by Robert Macfarlane. OK, it's not a bike book, nor strictly speaking a travel book, but it's about what drives us on to adventure - an amazing read ...

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
gbags

Post by gbags »

Favourite motorbike book:
These Are The Days That Must Happen To You
Bikes, travelling and drugs, leaving all the sensible nonsense behind.

Favourite non bike adventure:
When Men And Mountains Meet: Explorers Of The Western Himalayas, 1820 - 75 by John Keay
Marvellous book about the people who played the Great Game. Some even survived their adventures.
'The Man Who Would Be King', the Kipling book made into a film with Michael Caine and Sean Connery was based on just one of the characters in WM & MM.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I have recently finished 'Where BSAs Dare'. I thought it was so good that I have bought a couple of copies to give to friends as presents. Whilst it is a factual account of BSAs successful attempt in 52 to win the Maude's Trophy it reads like an adventure story. It also makes you wonder when anyone needs an 'adventure' bike when they achieved all they did on bog standard 500 cc plunger framed road bikes.
Cheers
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

gbags wrote:Favourite motorbike book:
These Are The Days That Must Happen To You
Bikes, travelling and drugs, leaving all the sensible nonsense behind.

Favourite non bike adventure:
When Men And Mountains Meet: Explorers Of The Western Himalayas, 1820 - 75 by John Keay
Marvellous book about the people who played the Great Game. Some even survived their adventures.
'The Man Who Would Be King', the Kipling book made into a film with Michael Caine and Sean Connery was based on just one of the characters in WM & MM.
Yup, the John Keay book gets a big mention from MacFarlane - it also looks like it0s printed every few years, there are a few copies on Amazon now, but only in the USA I think ...

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain

Return to “ACCESSORIES”