Security CHAIN

The essential art of farkling.
garyboy

Security CHAIN

Post by garyboy »

I been trawling the interweb for a coupla weeks now for a security chain and lock.

lightish,
cheapish,
good spec (chro-moly or alloy etc),
good versatile lock that can be used as a disc lock or to join chains together,
noose loop end preferred.

kryptonite new York thing (£80) looks good but too heavy?
oxford stuff is well rated but not much variety, and heavy.
cheap cheap (£17) stuff looks really good tbh but is it just visual deterrent?
abus is dear but well rated.
.. its no good having a great chain and lock if you wont carry it coz its too heavy?

anyone got suggestions?
Gary.
threepot

Re: Security CHAIN

Post by threepot »

About all you can do is buy one thats Sold Secure and Thatcham approved? I bought an Almax,which is supposedly bolt cutter proof? But its very heavy! So not very portable! But a good quality one is better than nothing I suppose?
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Your expectations dont meet security requirements for theft deterent in that there is no "cheap" secuirty device thats worth a damn.

What are you protecting and where i.e. at home or travelling.A £10 lock and chain is for a £10 bike...
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

thanks for the replies.

that's weird .. as I posted this I got a junk email to say the oxford hd chain and lock is reduced to £29 fron £32 .. this item is advertised elsewhere for £44-66.. sold secure silver for scooters (argh).. 9.5mm chain 1.5m long.

so I clicked on it and suddenly it was mine .. oops but ok .. ebay got my details it seems and I bought it without any card or info given .. as they already had it. gosh!
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

threepot .. I got the almax too.. for home use. 16mm x 2.5m .. yes its quite heavy ha ha.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I just use a stainless steel wire rope about 10mm diameter when I leave my bike away from home at night because it'll stop the opportunist who might try to wheel it away and there's not much will stop a professional thief so why bother lugging around anything more?

The bike's insured so I'm not overly concerned if it gets nicked, I can buy another one so it's not worth losing any sleep over.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

andy ... yes I realise that my expectations are daft .. I suppose what I wanted to know was, is it worth spending out for a high quality chain when it is mostly the visual deterrent that is effective? .. and is there a light one for transporting? say 8mm
threepot

Post by threepot »

garyboy wrote:thanks for the replies.

that's weird .. as I posted this I got a junk email to say the oxford hd chain and lock is reduced to £29 fron £32 .. this item is advertised elsewhere for £44-66.. sold secure silver for scooters (argh).. 9.5mm chain 1.5m long.

so I clicked on it and suddenly it was mine .. oops but ok .. ebay got my details it seems and I bought it without any card or info given .. as they already had it. gosh!
:huh:
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

andy ... trouble is I DO lose sleep over it ... I am up all night checking all is ok .. I sleep a bit better now as I got a load of real good quality chains secured to a post or two.
threepot

Post by threepot »

AndyB wrote:I just use a stainless steel wire rope about 10mm diameter when I leave my bike away from home at night because it'll stop the opportunist who might try to wheel it away and there's not much will stop a professional thief so why bother lugging around anything more?

The bike's insured so I'm not overly concerned if it gets nicked, I can buy another one so it's not worth losing any sleep over.
True Andy,but the better quality chain and lock,the harder the task? An angle grinder will cut a chain,but thats creates noise. And most locks can be picked,but some take a lot longer?

Return to “ACCESSORIES”