Best portable security?

The essential art of farkling.
micksea

Re: Best portable security?

Post by micksea »

with a disc lock on the front disc it takes two people,one each side to lift by the handlebars and wheel your bike away,with a lock through the back disc it takes two people to lift the back end and a third person to steer the bike (thumbs)
desmo666

Post by desmo666 »

got to say a large snotty old bike cover makes your bike almost invisable, I parked my bike where normally it would get inquisitive looks or attention but with the cover people just walked by. This was not a one off, it was over six months in the middle east and Africa. Used a cable lock around pannier frame and through rear wheel. Maybe luckily nothing was ever taken or damaged, out of site out of mind is my mantra.Imagehttp://[/img]
chrisinflight

Post by chrisinflight »

I,ve used disc locks & chains and found a quality, remote tilt-axis alarm the best for camping trips, lunch stops, shopping trips, bunkhouse, hotel stops etc
I had a Metasystems alarm which was small enough to conceal within a drz with separate siren and unit the size of a matchbox. Sets with the bike on the side-stand and goes off if the bikes angle is changed. :)
Use together with disc lock and steering lock!
2016 Beta 300rr- In the 2 stroke come-back club!

Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

desmo666 wrote:got to say a large snotty old bike cover makes your bike almost invisable, I parked my bike where normally it would get inquisitive looks or attention but with the cover people just walked by. This was not a one off, it was over six months in the middle east and Africa. Used a cable lock around pannier frame and through rear wheel. Maybe luckily nothing was ever taken or damaged, out of site out of mind is my mantra.
Hmm, good point but it depends on where you are.

On the rare occasions when I take my bike 'home' to the centre of a Spanish city I used to put a cover on it. But in a row of dozens of bikes - mostly big and expensive ones! - the cover made my bike really stand out. I gave up after a while on the basis that it would attract more unwanted attention.

My bike also looks like a load of crap next to the executive bling wagons parked up and down the line! (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Stray Dog

Post by Stray Dog »

Best security I found while on tour.
Put the bikes in the hotel room..... :whistle:

Dog
WillS

Post by WillS »

Or you can always put them in the Dining Room.
Hotel De France Khenefra Maroc.

ollydog

Post by ollydog »

CRAIGREVO wrote:A cover is the most underrated deterrent, but it works.

531p5P_large.jpeg
so true
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

desmo666 wrote:got to say a large snotty old bike cover makes your bike almost invisable, I parked my bike where normally it would get inquisitive looks or attention but with the cover people just walked by. This was not a one off, it was over six months in the middle east and Africa. Used a cable lock around pannier frame and through rear wheel. Maybe luckily nothing was ever taken or damaged, out of site out of mind is my mantra.Imagehttp://[/img]
got to agree, the dirty scruffy the better, do the same with my car

steve
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

The Spanish Biker wrote:
desmo666 wrote:got to say a large snotty old bike cover makes your bike almost invisable, I parked my bike where normally it would get inquisitive looks or attention but with the cover people just walked by. This was not a one off, it was over six months in the middle east and Africa. Used a cable lock around pannier frame and through rear wheel. Maybe luckily nothing was ever taken or damaged, out of site out of mind is my mantra.
Hmm, good point but it depends on where you are.

On the rare occasions when I take my bike 'home' to the centre of a Spanish city I used to put a cover on it. But in a row of dozens of bikes - mostly big and expensive ones! - the cover made my bike really stand out. I gave up after a while on the basis that it would attract more unwanted attention.

My bike also looks like a load of crap next to the executive bling wagons parked up and down the line! (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
hi simon, i find the scum will go for the easy option, the pros will go sorted for the bling boys

steve
Spout

Post by Spout »

micksea wrote:with a disc lock on the front disc it takes two people,one each side to lift by the handlebars and wheel your bike away,with a lock through the back disc it takes two people to lift the back end and a third person to steer the bike (thumbs)
One thief with armed either one or two skateboards can easily wheel away a bike unless it's chained to something.

As I said, a wheel off (carried to hotel room/stored in tent) will prevent this.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”