Wife plus Intercom

The essential art of farkling.
-Ralph-

Wife plus Intercom

Post by -Ralph- »

Just buying new helmet with integrated bluetooth intercom/phone/music.

Mainly it's for my son, as he's getting to the age (8 years) he's starting to do trips longer than 45 minutes, I want to be able to check he's OK and still awake.

However, no doubt when my wife goes on pillion, once we have an intercom, she'll want it on her helmet. She's never had one before. Below is how I think an intercom conversation with my wife on pillion might go....

How many of you use rider to pillion intercoms with your other halves, and how does that go?
-Ralph- wrote:"Look out for that car"

"Yes, darling, I've been watching it for the last 30 seconds"

"What kind of bird is that?"

"I have no idea sweetheart, I'm looking at the road not the sky"

"Oh, are we near Manchester?"

"No my angel, that's just a sign that points back towards Manchester, we passed there 100 miles ago"

"Where's that foreign truck from?"

"Romania my darling"

"What shall we have for dinner?"

"I don't care, I'll eat whatever's put in front of me"

"What's a truck from Romania doing over here?"

"I don't know, I guess he's delivering something that was made in Romania?"

"You know that wallpaper we have in the living room..."

"Shut the f#(k up"
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Treadtrader

Re: Wife plus Intercom

Post by Treadtrader »

We have them.
My missus is a ginger Scot with little patience of other drivers.
I keep trying to explain that when she's gobbing off at them I'm the only that can hear her, until I go completely deaf. :(
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Treadtrader wrote:We have them.
I keep trying to explain that when she's gobbing off at them I'm the only that can hear her, until I go completely deaf. :(
Just turn it on when you want to speak and let her just rant to herself the rest of the time. Job done (thumbs)
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

AndyB wrote:
Treadtrader wrote:We have them.
Just turn it on when you want to speak and let her just rant to herself the rest of the time. Job done (thumbs)
Tried that, gloves meant I found volume instead. Been too nervous to try since. :blink:
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
Norrie77

Post by Norrie77 »

I've the Autocom system fitted (personal choice) and am very fortunate that when SWMBO is on board she rarely speaks unless it for a comfort brake or if she's (occasionally) reading a map which she is very good at will pass me the necessary instructions.
0 - 60 in as long as it takes
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

We use them (currently a Sena SMH5 - best so far after trying Autocom, Scale Rider G4, Interphone F4) and its fine, so much so when we don't use them its really weird. There's usually long periods of silence as I am concentrating on the road and she is day dreaming about the big houses and nice gardens she is peering into. At their best they allow easy chit-chat about when or where to stop for a wee, coffee, petrol, chocolate , leg stretch, or whatever, and when travelling in the wider world to share your oohs and aahs at the great sights or unusual things you are seeing.

At their worst the comms don't open properly or all you get all the time is wind noise from the other helmet and you end up shouting WHAT, PARDON, can you say that again endlessly and then getting cross and blame one another for failing to use or set up the comms properly, or have the microphone in the wrong place, or riding with the visor open. Once set up and a suitable protocol have emerged they are great.

One tip, don't tell her how the buttons work or which one to press. You stay in control that way and can switch her off and she can't switch it back on. :laugh:
Dutchgit

Post by Dutchgit »

My wife wanted the intercom as well.
I simply refused as I don't want any more distractions when I'm on the bike.

(I don't want her to hear my occasional comment on her riding either :laugh: )
It'll end in tears I tells ya.
Philiptigerrice

Post by Philiptigerrice »

Anyone used the Sena 20S

Am looking at a Duo set next payday... I've found some SHOCKING reviews though - but then you always can, for anything, if you look hard enough...

Still very tempted though...
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
heavy

Post by heavy »

be careful' I went into pay for my fuel one day and had some naughty banter with the girl on the till, all of a sudden I heard in my hat " I can hear you",
then realised the Bluetooth was still linked, oopps,
regards heavy
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

heavy wrote:be careful' I went into pay for my fuel one day and had some naughty banter with the girl on the till, all of a sudden I heard in my hat " I can hear you",
then realised the Bluetooth was still linked, oopps,
regards heavy
when my wife goes to pay i talk dirty to her. Its hilarious listening to her trying to talk nicely to the cashier while I am telling her exactly what I am going to do to her tonight. :laugh:

Return to “ACCESSORIES”