Black Friday

The essential art of farkling.
misterlaffer

Black Friday

Post by misterlaffer »

Zookman wrote:
sprintster wrote:
Zookman wrote:Anyone see Watchdog last night ?.....They had a report on there about 'Blag Friday' as they called it.
Yes,hike the price up for a month before Black Friday and then give a "massive saving" of the original price! :laugh:
Yeah its all smoke & mirrors..... Even this GoPro from Argos. when you scroll down the page it has the legal disclaimer in small print that says.... 'Please note that this item has previously been on sale at the same price'
Thanks for this. Was going to get another one for my daughter to use when climbing, think I'll wait for the new year now might get a Hero 4 for not much more.
Barftone

Re: Black Friday

Post by Barftone »

Yeah you suckerzzz...now where are those cheap Lindstrand jackets? ;)
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

Bought some booze from Bargain Booze in Haslington but no Black Friday deal.
I'll try the pub instead.
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

misterlaffer wrote:
Zookman wrote:
sprintster wrote:
Zookman wrote:Anyone see Watchdog last night ?.....They had a report on there about 'Blag Friday' as they called it.
Yes,hike the price up for a month before Black Friday and then give a "massive saving" of the original price! :laugh:
Yeah its all smoke & mirrors..... Even this GoPro from Argos. when you scroll down the page it has the legal disclaimer in small print that says.... 'Please note that this item has previously been on sale at the same price'
Thanks for this. Was going to get another one for my daughter to use when climbing, think I'll wait for the new year now might get a Hero 4 for not much more.
I dare say you will. Try checking HotUkDeals occasionally..... seeing as Hero 3 is £124 from Halfords and £129 from Currys currently, although neither are with free batt pack like Argos, its likely Hero 4 will be available sometime soon somewhere for around £150.
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

johnnyboxer wrote:
AndyB wrote:So let me get this clear - if I've been looking at buying a Go Pro and I buy one today while they're cheap I've fallen for the hype and should have left it and paid full price in a couple of months? You crack me up :laugh:

I wouldn't go and queue up on the off chance of getting a bargain but if I've got the cash in the bank and was planning on buying one anyway I'd be a mug not to pocket the saving. I don't want one and won't be buying one but that's not the point.
It's not the fecking discount

It's the hype and the manipulation of the public, by the retailers to form a buying decision based on their power

If you can't see that we're treated like sheep, then more fool you

Europe doesn't pander to it

Everybody likes a deal, but it's the crass way of manipulation that puts me right fucking off

Even if I wanted something, I'd not buy it today on principle - George Orwell was right
Too right mate I'm 100% with you on that! I went to fill up this morning in Asda but the swines had reduced the price to below £1 as part of there Black Friday manipulation.
So I didn't bother putting fuel in out of principal!
I did run out on the A46 to Coventry and had to walk 13 miles to get home, but my god did I feel Empowered that I had stuck it to the system!! ;)
cloud 9

Post by cloud 9 »

CRAIGREVO wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote:
AndyB wrote:So let me get this clear - if I've been looking at buying a Go Pro and I buy one today while they're cheap I've fallen for the hype and should have left it and paid full price in a couple of months? You crack me up :laugh:

I wouldn't go and queue up on the off chance of getting a bargain but if I've got the cash in the bank and was planning on buying one anyway I'd be a mug not to pocket the saving. I don't want one and won't be buying one but that's not the point.

It's the hype and the manipulation of the public, by the retailers to form a buying decision based on their power

Everybody likes a deal, but it's the crass way of manipulation that puts me right fucking off

Even if I wanted something, I'd not buy it today on principle - George Orwell was right
Too right mate I'm 100% with you on that! I went to fill up this morning in Asda but the swines had reduced the price to below £1 as part of there Black Friday manipulation.
So I didn't bother putting fuel in out of principal!
I did run out on the A46 to Coventry and had to walk 13 miles to get home, but my god did I feel Empowered that I had stuck it to the system!! ;)
But Asda cast their net far & wide!

And though they are prepared to let the odd tiddler slip through the net with his 25p saving, their main quarry is the shoal who are lured into the shop to spend £75 and another 60 on the way out filling up.

I wised up to this nonsense when Sainsburys were doing their 5p off vouchers when you spend X amount in the store.
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

Whilst I agree better to have the savings than not if you're on the lookout for something, I can't help but feel that this is just another way of encouraging people to get further into debt.

It worries me the level of debt that UK people appear to think - or should I say more accurately have been trained to think - is perfectly normal, and i can't help thinking that major societal problems are being stored up for the future because politicos want their 'economic growth' today.

That's why I'm against the principle of Black Friday - more (unnecessary) consumption, more debt, more problems.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Anyone else remember the Nestle scandal? It still keeps ticking away in the background like a bad case of herpes and it makes anything Asda do look like child's play :pinch:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestl%C3%A9_boycott
cloud 9

Post by cloud 9 »

Ken Shabby wrote:Whilst I agree better to have the savings than not if you're on the lookout for something, I can't help but feel that this is just another way of encouraging people to get further into debt.

It worries me the level of debt that UK people appear to think - or should I say more accurately have been trained to think - is perfectly normal, and i can't help thinking that major societal problems are being stored up for the future because politicos want their 'economic growth' today.

That's why I'm against the principle of Black Friday - more (unnecessary) consumption, more debt, more problems.
Too true! (thumbs)

I even nearly got lured into my myself the other night with a jacket at half price.
Now I must have 15 waterproof jackets ranging from mountain, fishing, cycling, motorbike & even one of those greasy Barbours somewhere ... but somehow thought I saw a hole in my mountain range between showerproof wind jacket & lightweight waterproof.

http://www.ultimateoutdoors.com/mens/18 ... -blue.html

I really is consumerism gone mad, and I'm as guilty as anyone .. but even I had to admit I just didn't need it.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

johnnyboxer wrote:

You're wrong on the Europe thing John - Black Friday is huge here in Spain, especially as on-line shopping is nowhere near as developed as it is in the UK and it's very rare to get discounts on the whole - except for the fact that high street shops have to have two sales per year - by law! (thumbs)

But in fact it is viewed - at least by f***-off rich journalists and TV presenters - as just another US import 'scandal' here: along with hallowe'en, and of course Father Christmas.

Having said that I've just succumbed - gone to buy a Canon printer for £29.18 that sells every day in Curry's for £29.50 Yeeeeeeeeeeessssssssss (thumbs) (thumbs) (thumbs)

Regs

Simon

PS but that's only down to the strong pound this week ... :whistle:
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain

Return to “ACCESSORIES”