Crash bars

The essential art of farkling.
AndyB

Re: Crash bars

Post by AndyB »

herman wrote:
Mike54 wrote:That is a cracking looking machine, Herman. Straightforward and no nonsense (thumbs)
Thank you Sir. It is on a diet now as it's arse is too heavy.
That'll be the crash bars (thumbs)
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

herman wrote:
Mike54 wrote:That is a cracking looking machine, Herman. Straightforward and no nonsense (thumbs)
Gotta be the silencer & whatever you've got in that tail pack.
You can see now why a lot of the new AdvenTourers are going to belly slung exhausts.
Does the reduced ground clearance really matter as 99% will never go rock hopping. :whistle:
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

picos mestizo wrote:
herman wrote:
You can see now why a lot of the new AdvenTourers are going to belly slung exhausts.
Does the reduced ground clearance really matter as 99% will never go rock hopping. :whistle:
Interesting point Brian. I've been watching some Dakar footage from 2013 and 2015 and what really struck me was the low sling exhausts - making room for extra fuel no doubt - and the relatively low undercarriage.

As you know my X-Co isn't particularly high off the ground - worse with the non-OEM bash plate - but even though I do ride some fairly rocky trails I've never had a ground clearance issue that I can remember, even riding straight at the end of deep ruts - it happens!

Back to crash bars in general and as stated elsewhere - according to the bloke who was following me my side pannier racks saved my leg from even further damage - just the broken ankle - and probably the bike too after a 65 kph crash onto a concrete surface a few years ago! :whistle:

Meanwhile, @ Allen, really nice bike! (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

picos mestizo wrote:
herman wrote:

Ah, so that's why they don't need crash bars........ :whistle:
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Some crash bars are so flimsy with minimal attachments that they do more damage than they save & that can go for your leggs as well. :sick:
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
fairyplum

Post by fairyplum »

I think I have only had crash bars fitted to one bike and I have done a great deal of touring on rough roads. The RTW bike never had any. I usually drop my bike a few times a trip!! If you have panniers they seem to take the rap...
herman

Post by herman »

picos mestizo wrote:
herman wrote:
Correct Brian. After stripping the back off it I can see why they weigh so much as there is a lot of form over function going on.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”