TOP BOX PRACTICALITY

The essential art of farkling.
JJay51

Re: TOP BOX PRACTICALITY

Post by JJay51 »

I have two shad cases, one 37ltr and one 46ltr they both share the same base, i use them for the camping gear as it all fits in, no camping no problem leave the box locked on with gear inside :)

This is the 46ltr

This is the 37ltr

I have teh 46ltr currently packed ready for a trip and managed to get my new tent inside it so nothing will be strapped externally this year B)
Roy C.

Post by Roy C. »

As most Adventure style bikes are already ugly enough to frighten a Police Horse I fail to see how adding a top box can spoil the look. Wouldn't want one on a Multistrada mind. ;)
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Roy C. wrote:As most Adventure style bikes are already ugly enough to frighten a Police Horse I fail to see how adding a top box can spoil the look. Wouldn't want one on a Multistrada mind. ;)
What you really don't want on a Multistrada is the large capacity lids on the panniers. Wide load doesn't even start to describe it.

I had the standard top box on my Multistrada and it didn't mess the handling anything like the way the box does on my 1190 Adventure which breaks into a '70s style death weave at anything over 115mph when fitted.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

My cheap one once opened after hitting a few bolders on a Bristol trail...didnt loose much just firstaid kit and a flask...now use a drybag on trails...

But love the toobox for general use on road....16ltrs though so small by most folks trunks ..ha ha.
johnnyboxer

TOP BOX PRACTICALITY

Post by johnnyboxer »

gland wrote:never had a top box and never will. Stay strong don't ruin another bike :whistle:
kriega 40l pack is enough for weekenders and a tank bag for valuables.
I thought the same

However recently had a week in Scotland with a tail pack

Dilemma was, parked outside hotel in Inverary on street, it was a pain having to remove every night as it & contents weren't secure

A top box was locked on & less temptation for fiddlers

So on returning home - the top box went back on
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Still hate'em but as I'm only going to wear it for two weeks a year & can't resist the convenience I have to get one in lieu of my huge Oxford tail pack.
What sub 50 quid 40-55 litre unit can be reccomended for strength & waterproofness please.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
herman

Post by herman »

Second hand Givi ? Dealers will take them off trade ins and flog them cheap on occasion.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

herman wrote:Second hand Givi ? Dealers will take them off trade ins and flog them cheap on occasion.
I'm glad you said that because that's what I was thinking.
Second hand quality branded in preferance to new unknown cheap & cheerful copy. (thumbs)
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Givi are good boxes and you'll always get a mounting plate to suit your bike. If you get a Givi box I'd strongly recommend getting an inner bag otherwise you end up with a lot of wasted space because of the size of the lid.

Possibly the strongest recommendation is that a lot of bike manufacturers rebrand Givi as their own.
D16PJM

Post by D16PJM »

I have a top box and very practical, However on my recent trip to France, every time I was kitted up and on the bike my brother would still be messing around with his top box putting things away, it got to the point I have refused to go away again unless its removed.

Pete

Return to “ACCESSORIES”