Advice Needed - Bike trackers

The essential art of farkling.
SimplyExploring

Post by SimplyExploring »

Been thinking more and more about putting some sort of tracker on the bike. But don't want to spend out top money and spend on subscription tracking service.
Has anyone used one of these cheap GSM trackers ? Or any other advise on other options is much appreciated
Adrian

Re: Advice Needed - Bike trackers

Post by Adrian »

I have one on my car and it works extremely well.
One quick call to the car and I get an instant txt reply with a direct link to google maps which shows me the location.
Loads of other features; geofencing etc
I can send a configuration txt to the unit which switches it to 'voice' mode. I then call the car and the unit answers the call and I can listen in to any conversation taking place inside :whistle:
You can get a very tiny version for the bike on eBay for around £10 quid.

Ade
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

[ebay]400633296789[/ebay]

eBay item number 400633296789
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

I saw a reference to these in the discussions about the stolen Swiss KTM 690 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130994399034? ... 1423.l2649

No idea what it's like, but the thread got me thinking about trackers...

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
JumboSi

Post by JumboSi »

Am I right in assuming these need a SIM Card in them? If so, what's the best option for a SIM card?

Sent from my iPad using Crapatalk
What goes up........
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

GiffGaff always get good reviews for these type of devices. My personal phone is on GiffGaff (O2 network). It's not a contract, but every month I buy a "£10 GoodyBag" which gives me 500 voice minutes, a GB of internet and unlimited txt.

For this type of device, I think the £5 or £7.50 a month would suffice. If you exceed the Goody-bag allowance then it uses any credit you have on the account. I have £5.00 loaded on mine just in case but I've not used the credit in over 2 years. The device shown in the eBay advert uses TXT and GPRS (Internet) so you'd need a Goody-bag for them.

http://giffgaff.com/goodybags

If you don't want to buy a goody-bag every month you could just get a free sim, load £10 on it as it does not expire and as long as you send at least 1 txt or phonecall every 6 months, then the credit and sim will remain active and valid.
stormfield

Post by stormfield »

What's the battery drain like with these devices?

Return to “ACCESSORIES”